Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Prince and Princess Birthday Party

On Monday we attended a delightfully fun party: a combination of a Memorial Day potluck, a May crowning, and a birthday party for a three-year-old. For the birthday girl, I sewed a play dress, with a matching one for my Mary.


The theme was Prince and Princess, with the kids instructed to dress in costume. I bought Mary a princess dress and gloves at the Goodwill store for $4, and you can see that she got her crown from Burger King, which Daddy happened to take her to for lunch that day.



John's cape I sewed from a $3 table cloth I bought at the Goodwill. I still have a lot of fabric leftover from that! (Note that Dacron fabric in the 95-degree humid weather of North Carolina is a potential recipe for heat stroke! See sweat and flushed faces in the next photo. After John was half melted, we took off his cape and crown!)


The host family is the one that yearly hosts a May Crowning (which this year was combined with the birthday party). I try not to post photos of other people's children without permission, so you will just have to envision the precious picture of more than 20 children, all dressed as princes and princesses, marching with their flowers, and singing "Immaculate Mary." Above, John and Mary place their blue hydrangea flowers at the statue.


After the crowning, all the guests prayed the rosary, standing out in the wooded back yard of our hosts. The three-year-old birthday girl led one of the decades. During the decade that Chris led, John became very brave, made his voice loud, and led a few of the Hail Marys. I was so proud of my shy boy! Even I would feel shy to lead prayer in front of 50 people!



The birthday girl spontaneously knelt for the rosary, the only person at the whole party to do so. How my heart was happy when John went and knelt with her for a decade!


Also at the party was great food, royalty-themed games for the kids with prizes, and an amazing homemade castle cake. Upon waking this morning, one of the first things John said to me was that he wanted his next birthday party and his cake to be exactly like the party we attended the day before. High standards!

3 comments:

  1. that is precious, Katherine! Especially the last photo. Is this just a group of friends of yours, or is it the homeschool co-op? How blessed you are to have such a community! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine: These were friends, not a formal homeschooling group. Although I do suspect that most of the parents are homeschoolers. It's a group in which I'm friends with the hosts and a few of the families, but some of the families are unfamiliar to me. I used to get to see this lovely family more often, but they live 45 minutes away from us, so I stopped making the drive very often when I had two kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. I am speechless at the last photo. Children really do teach us such humility. And, that was quite a lovely birthday party! I really love the cape you made for John.

    ReplyDelete