Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Benefits of Screaming

You know you are a mom of three children four years and under (which I don't think is that remarkable, actually!) when the ear-splitting screaming of the infant is at least a relief from being able to hear the two bigger kids fighting over Yet One More Toy Squabble that makes Mama consider relieving said children of the objects of their consternation by dumping them all in a giant black garbage bag.

Yes, Margaret screamed a whole lot today, for unknown reasons--and that means I split up fewer sibling fights because I couldn't hear them! I wore the baby sun up to sun down and she would scream herself hoarse, inches from my face.

John and Mary have been invited to a three-year-old's Prince and Princess Party, so I am working on their costumes. At the Goodwill store, I was able to find a ready-made princess dress for Mary. For John I found a huge table cloth for three dollars, which I sewed into a king's cape today. (And how did I sew this cape? With Margaret screaming in my ears!)



I found a bit of highly textured, golden fabric in my stash with which I made a cross emblem. My prince is going to be a holy one!



Later I cleaned up those loose threads with Fray Lock.










I'd like to recommend Giada de Laurentis' recipe for Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup. A parish volunteer made it for us after I gave birth to Margaret, and today the children and I made a double batch: one for us and one for a new mother at our parish. I like that the soup contains pasta and beans, so it sticks to my ribs more than regular tomato soup. And let me tell you, it pairs well with grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon on Mama's homemade bread!


4 comments:

  1. Have you eaten anything new recently? I had my first bout of infant intolerance of a food when Estella was a few weeks old. It was cauliflower and it did NOT agree with her. What you went through with Margaret sounds just like Estella was acting that next day and night. I have had to avoid it since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now i want a grilled cheese... cute picture of the kids cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cape! I am sorry you had such a screaming day. Some days are that way and it can be deafening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking along the same lines as Sarah Faith, my little one doesn't tolerate egg. Not even a little bit....

    ReplyDelete