Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy 2d Birthday, Mary!

We celebrated Mary's second birthday a day early because we are hosting a movie night for Chris' Catholic men's group tomorrow.




The kids wanted their cupcakes first, before presents.

I was startled that Mary knew to blow out her candle (and how to do it carefully) before I even got a chance to mention it. The last birthday party she attended was John's a year ago.

She ate all the frosting off the top delicately with her fork, then ate no cake.


Grampa R. got her a doll stroller!

And he got her a little owl! (The owl is her favorite animal.)




Mommy and Daddy gave her this Immaculate Heart of Mary pillow (a homemade Etsy purchase) . . .

. . . and this rocking horse, which has been discontinued by Radio Flyer but one was still available at our local old-fashioned toy store. We actually had a rocking horse that we'd bought at a consignment sale almost four years ago, but it was broken then and is more broken now. We decided to get a very sturdy horse that will serve all our future toddlers, we hope.

Mary couldn't get enough of pushing her baby doll around the house and singing a song she made up about liking her "wheels." Soon, her baby doll, the new Virgin Mary pillow, and the owl were all riding in the stroller.



Mary certainly has been acting "two" for the last few weeks. Today she threw tantrums at a level of which I don't think I've ever seen before in either of my children. She was totally out of control at least a half dozen times, raging, screaming herself hoarse, flinging herself, hitting. We even changed plans and I left her with Daddy rather than take her to a planned play date with John. (And had Daddy not been available to babysit, her behavior was so atrocious, I'd have had to cancel entirely!). Her behavior vacillates from absolutely charming and precious most of the time to these highlights of ornery and cantankerous. For example, when I cheerfully wished her a Happy Birthday, she replied loudly with a scowl, "No, I don't!" I'm grateful she is so delightful most of the time because her "two moments" are very TWO.

As a follow-up to the earlier post: Tonight as we were putting her and John to sleep, I kissed her and asked her if she was ready for me to go downstairs and Daddy could read stories to her and her brother. She answered firmly, "No! Mommy, stop going downstairs! The crickets are sleeping down there!"

9 comments:

  1. I just cannot believe your little Mary is 2! Time is just flying by - and it shows b/c I haven't been by in a while :)

    She is so grown up now and such a darling. Doesn't it amaze you how much she learns from John?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her behavior reminds me of Benjamin! The happy birthday comment is TYPICAL Benjamin. And I don't know if I mentioned anywhere, but when Anna was still in CHOP I had come home for Halloween weekened (and Cla stayed at CHOP with Anna) so I could be there to take him trick or treating etc. He had been so excited since JULY to be a kangaroo....at one point even sleeping with the costume! Halloween day he excitedly put the costume on over his pajamas. But once he woke from his nap and we were ready to go he "decided" that he didn't like kanagaroos, "Uhhh, I don't like a kangaroo!" And that was that. No trick or treating because once the decision is in his head there is no covincing him otherwise!

    Crazy toddlers! I remind myself regularly that this time is fleeting at best and all too soon they will be older LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I love that you made a cupcake.

    I remember that horse and the consignment sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathrine,
    My Rayna, almost 3, loves watching the videos of your kids. She really likes the one of Mary pushing the baby in the stroller!
    Thank you for sharing these with us. You have enertained her more than once during long waits at the Drs!
    In Christ,
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina: Ha ha! That's funny. Well, you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie: Well, Ben is the one who lost out on the candy! That is funny. John tried to pull that as we were walking out the door, that now he didn't want to be Juan Diego. I forget what I said but it was a growl about how he was going to be Juan Diego and he was going to like it because I didn't sew for two weeks, blah blah blah . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Mary!!!

    I wonder how much of this tantrum-y behavior is "girl-related." Emma had the worst tantrums at Mary's age...and they've actually become WORSE at four!!! She doesn't have nearly as many, but woo, the drama these days is unbelievable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful birthday celebration. Happy birthday to Mary!

    ReplyDelete