Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Open Biopsy Surgery

We have been absent from our family blog for one month exactly as our son Thomas was diagnosed with cancer. We were publishing over at CaringBridge (https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomaslauer/), but are now going to try to bring the two together seamlessly in order to continue the family blog I have written for 14 years. This blog post is copied from CaringBridge and is being published retroactively. Please subscribe to our family blog to receive updates as I publish!


Before we left for the hospital, Margaret (9) wrote a poem for Thomas.

Margaret just wrote this for Thomas:
From Thomas’ loving sister
My brother Thomas is the best
Little brother from east to west.
I love him more and more each day
For my brother Thomas is OK.
My brother Thomas loves everyone
And by that, I mean a lot--a ton!
And this isn’t even all.
In fact, it isn’t even tall,
but I cannot write it all down
for it would be one mile long.
Thomas asked to wear his new surgical scrubs to his surgery. He jubilantly told his 13-year-old brother (whom he calls a grown-up), "Now I will be the doctor and you will be the little boy going to the hospital!" I think Thomas felt empowered by the role playing, him as doctor in charge.
Thomas's surgery began two hours late (at 3:35) due to an earlier patient experiencing complications, but that child never complained one time all day about no food or drink. What four year old is so patient? That can only be a gift from God.
Then the surgery itself took twice as long as anticipated (3 hours). They had to go back in a second time to get enough tissue for Pathology. He bled more than anticipated but avoided a transfusion. 
Thomas is still under general and we are not yet reunited with him in recovery. I will be spending the night with him.











No comments:

Post a Comment