Monday, December 23, 2013

Housecleaning Day

T minus 2 days . . .

Today was the day I set aside for cleaning the whole house so it would be lovely for Christmas. I remember a nun once telling me about the practice in her order that each Saturday the convent was cleaned spic and span to prepare for meeting with Jesus on Sunday: I thought that was lovely symbolism.

Playing 'Race to the Roof' with Grampa

Of course, my plans to clean the whole house while doing everything else needful--a lot of cooking and wrapping gifts--meant I cleaned only the downstairs. Well, it's better than nothing and I tried my best!


The children were little helpers, and also went on errands with Daddy, played games with Grampa, and watched plenty of "Signing Times."


Joseph is fascinated by the tree and, so far, is quite gentle with it.


We had previously understood that Christmas Eve had traditionally been a day of fasting and abstinence, as is common before major, celebratory Catholic holy days--although the penance has been lifted and is now simply a pious practice. This year, as we always learn more and more nuances of our faith, we learned that in 1959, the Holy Father allowed the transfer of the day of fasting and abstinence to December 23. So, that is the practice we followed this year--which does make possible cookies and cocoa while decorating the tree on Christmas Eve!

My dinner menu was: breaded tilapia (thanks to Chef Gorton) with tartar sauce, lentil stew, and pasta.


Tomorrow . . . decorating the tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment