Monday, December 23, 2013

Baking Day

T minus 3 days . . . 

On Sunday, we relaxed a bit more. Our day consisted of attending Mass (fourth Sunday of Advent!), putting the lights on the Christmas tree (I forgot to take pictures!) . . .



. . . playing a great game of Qwirkle . . .


. . . and doing the Christmas cookie baking.



I decided to use pre-made dough in an effort to give the children the experience of kitchen-time with Mama, and to provide us cookies on which to munch, but while preserving my sense of peace (which is so easily lost). I am the type who thinks not only does everything have to be homemade to be 'acceptable,' but that I should use home ground flour, the finest Mexican vanilla extract (bonus points if I made the extract myself in a months-long process), and butter from cows raised roaming free while eating the loveliest grass pastures. But, in the end, a crabby, barking mother resulting from my idealism is bad for everyone . . . so store-bought dough it was this year.



The kids loved it.

"Mama, look at these snowmen cookies! Wow!"

Mama: "Oh, yes, how charming." (Sigh.)



Then the children and Grampa Neil decorated some of them with (store-bought!) icing and toppings.



We ate cookies for dessert and I froze the rest for Christmas.



3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your temptation in regards to wanting to make everything from scratch...in the end, I'd like to think that our children will appreciate the time we spent doing these activities together (not blaming us for not churning our own butter!) I know I've had to rely more on pre-made ingredients in this season of life to save my sanity. A joy-filled home is more important!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chuckling at your descriptions of your fondness for the homemade, and can totally relate. You know I've scaled back, bought my canned cinammon rolls this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priscilla: I'm proud of you for scaling back!

    ReplyDelete