Thursday, December 8, 2011

Feast of the Immaculate Conception 2011

A friend and I decided to make an event of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception since we'd be going to Mass (holy day of obligation) anyway. We spent about five hours at Belmont Abbey: climbing trees, visiting the bookstore, attending Mass, visiting the grotto, and praying along the stations of the cross.

 Climbing trees



 Sweet babies

In the bookstore, we set up the children coloring at a central table while the mommies exchanged turns shopping and guarding the little ones.

Eating a picnic at the grotto

As a side note, Margaret is suddenly so interested in food! She didn't care before, disliked purees (still does), and sometimes gagged. Now when she sees food come out, she grabs strongly at what I am eating. She eats whatever I eat that is basically baby-safe. As an example, this morning she had toast and fried eggs, for lunch she ate crackers with cheese and some almond butter sandwich, and for dinner she ate Hungarian goulash!

5 comments:

  1. Is this where you normally attend Mass? Here I was congratulating myself for doing a 90 minute service and you did 5 hours and there are no pics of screaming kiddos! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day! That is one of my most favorite feast days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine: No, we normally attend Mass at a parish five miles away. Belmont Abbey is 25 minutes' freeway-drive away. It's an interesting Mass because it is done in a fairly holy way, but the attendees are mostly college students, with all that that brings.

    And there are no photos of screaming children because I could not manage the screaming children and my camera simultaneously. :) Believe me, it was a "mothers' Mass." We arrived to discover it was standing room only. So, I sat cross-legged on the stone floor at the back of the sanctuary, keeping my two littles coralled in the corner and nursing my over-tired baby. At the homily, the baby got too loud, so we all retreated to the narthex, but there are no windows and no sound piped in there. As I am a mean mommy, I kept telling the children that they were still in Holy Mass and must sit still and be quiet . . . which was really hard in a big, empty room with no evidence of the Mass going on. And that's when I discovered that what I thought would be a short, quiet Mass was a 90-minute Mass. Yeah, it was definitely all a Mass of penance for Mama. I didn't even go in to receive Communion. But Chris was out of town, so we couldn't coordinate Masses in order to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret eats more than my 12 month old!!! What a blessing for baby and Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna: Well, I didn't mean to mislead. Her quantity is still small--just varied and interesting! Let me think . . . I might give her a teaspoon of my fried eggs cut up and that will occupy her for my whole breakfast. Today at lunch I gave her a round cracker bigger than a Ritz with almond butter on it and I think she really got most of it in her tummy. I was impressed by that. For the goulash last night, I think she ate 1-2 teaspoons. So, it's still a very small amount. Sounds like you and I are in the same camp on baby eating. :) Still, after John's baby experience, I am SO relieved to see my next two babies seeming to have zero problems with flavors, textures, and gagging.

    ReplyDelete