Sunday, November 27, 2011

Advent 2011

The purple wreath hangs on the door

The Advent calendar is taped to the window (because the windows are translucent when opened). Goal: Open each "door" first thing in the morning, read the line of Scripture, and give the children one chocolate candy each.

You will note that the Advent paper chain is suspended from an old drapery rod above the kitchen picture window. Why? Because that was the only place I thought would be high enough that Mary could not get it down. Did that work? No. She already found a way to get the chain down and she carefully tore off every pink paper (which I later stapled anew). Go back and look how high that chain is!

Goal: After breakfast and dressing in the morning, start School Time by hanging the ornament on the Jesse Tree and reading the appropriate Scripture of Jesus' genealogy.

Then move on to the Holy Heroes Advent Adventure: This is a wonderful program I will receive by email each day. It contains a few short (2-3 minute) videos, coloring pages, and other little activities to print out. I love that the program is entirely designed and handed to me.

Goal: Read delightful Christmas books often!

The two nativity scenes are up, both safe to be played with. When I took these photos the children were having afternoon quiet time, which marks the first and last time all the nativity scene characters will be neat and orderly.

Goal: Teach the children about doing good deeds for family members and others: Each time Daddy or I know of a child doing a good deed, he or I will give a piece of straw to the child to place in Baby Jesus' creche to make it soft for him when he (the doll) is placed in it on Christmas.


Goal: Light the appropriate Advent candle(s) each night at dinner time and let it burn while we are eating. Pray the short Advent prayers at that time.

Where did the television set go?!

Advent is a penitential season, a "mini Lent," a time of waiting and preparing our hearts for the joyous birth of our Savior. Some Catholics make sacrifices or work on correcting faults / improving virtues at this time. Our family is going to be further reducing television (since this isn't a "crisis" time when I'm sick with pregnancy or newly postpartum): our goal is for the children to watch a 30-minute show three days a week, to have 30 minutes of computer time the other two days, and none on weekends, plus for Mommy and Daddy not to be watching TV either.


And Mommy is going to be cutting down on Internet time! Being inspired by a friend of mine who did this for Lent about three years ago, I am going to try to stay off the computer when the children are (1) awake and (2) in my care. Wish me the best with that. (I think my heart is having palpitations.)

As always: I make a lot of great plans for domestic liturgy and I don't succeed at implementing them 100%. But I continue to give the old college try!

7 comments:

  1. Can you recommend where to find a baby Jesus and little manger? I've been looking for one since last year, but haven't found one I like at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah: We received our two nativity sets as gifts, so I'm not of my help. The Fontanini set is wonderful (classic, but rugged for kids to play with), but I don't know if it is the price point you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, no offense, but you have a lot of goals and your kids are still pretty young. If you find it is not working out how you would like, you might want to change some of the goals from daily to weekly. Obviously, the calendar and the Jesse tree have to be every day, but your other goals can be a little more flexible.

    Best of luck and I admire your motivation. Advent is long this year and we are revising many of our traditions to better serve the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica: No offense taken. You are a wise lady with far more child-rearing experience than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started a manger last year with our kids. My husband made a manger out of wood (a little bigger than a doll's crib), and then we put hay for good deeds in it throughout Advent. Then Christmas morning the kids come down to baby Jesus in the manger with the hay they put in. We just wrapped a doll in a blanket for baby Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ideas and inspiration. Thank you for the reminder to add a penatential aspect to our Advent! We are talking a lot about "serving others" and "giving ourselves" (sacrifice for others) as gifts. Love the covering the TV. Have a Blessed Advent!

    ReplyDelete