Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Monkey Mary

This morning, I was getting ready for the day and Mary was a mere five feet outside the open bedroom door--well within my supervision, right? I turned to glance at her and found that her brother (4-3/4, the cautious enabler) had securely tied a fabric "rope" to the landing newel at the top of the staircase (click here if you're like me and don't know "staircase anatomy"). Mary (2-3/4, the brave, foolhardy one) was swinging wildly out above the staircase, out into the air with only a full story drop below her.

She looked a bit like Tarzan or a monkey swinging on a vine.

After I got Mary back safely on the landing and my heart started beating again, I explained to her why she could never swing on a rope above the staircase.

She explained indignantly, "But I was being brave!"

Indeed.

Really, I don't share all my "Mary stories" because they're all basically the same. Last week she disappeared and was silent for a minute or so, which prompted me to find her stuck and hanging by her fingers from the shower caddy, which she had tried to climb to reach the showerhead. On another morning, John came down in the morning and I asked if Mary was still sleeping. "No, she's stuck on her bureau." Investigation revealed that, yes, she was perched atop her six-drawer bureau, waiting patiently for rescue. Rarely does a day go by without one or more such adventures! When she does fall with a big bang, her stock answer is, "I'm okay! There's no blood."

5 comments:

  1. ? Have you asked Mary whether she might have any idea where the camera might be ? You may be able to 'figure out' John, even 'pro-
    gram' him to some extent....but Mary ...that is just not going to happen.

    All good thoughts to Chris (& of course you all) during this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Sarah: Yes, I asked Mary the first day if she took the camera, touched it, moved it, hid it, etc. She said 'no' and I think I believe her--although sometimes little ones do forget that they hid something.

    Chris is recovering surprisingly well. Thank you so much for your well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't picture how she was swinging. Had she climbed over the railing and was swinging 15 feet above the 1st floor or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine: Did you click on the link to view staircase anatomy? She was tied to the knobby thing at the top of the staircase, then swinging out over open air, so if she'd let go of the rope, she'd have flung herself out above the stairs themselves and probably fallen 15 feet down to the first floor.

    ReplyDelete