Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Innocence


Our children are almost never exposed to commercials, as we watch only children's programming on DVD and Daddy's talking-head news program during the day, with Chris and I watching our own shows after the kids are asleep. John still doesn't even understand what a commercial is.

Today I've been sick and in survival mode, so the TV has been playing almost all day. After a full day of kid shows, I let myself watch a grown-up show in front of the kids for my own sanity. It was a perfectly clean program about antiques. Sadly, commercials can have an entirely different decency rating than the show they're interrupting.

A commercial came on advertising perfume using a scantily clad woman in the waves on a beach. I was hastily searching for the remote to mute, then change the channels. Before I could do it, my sweet, innocent boy said, "Look! It's the Adam and Eve story!"

Adam and Eve are the only indecently, scantily clad people he knows!

2 comments:

  1. isn't that just wonderful!! That's what it's all about. not sheltering in a "head in the sand" sort of way.... but preserving innocence!!!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katherine, how sweet! I'm sorry you're feeling so ill. It's so hard to be a sick mama. As you told me, we just never get sick days. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete