Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Survival Mode

Being sick with a four-year-old in the house is a whole lot better than with only younger kids--that is what I've learned today! I don't remember the last time I was incapacitated, or nearly so, with sickness, but this time around I had a real Little Helper in John! I think I've ruled out that this is Norovirus or Rotavirus, which leaves Influenza or some mystery flu-like illness. John got sick first, then he was improving when I fell ill, and so far Mary and Daddy are holding it at bay.

Chris has some important work commitments this week and we discerned several times per day whether he should try to come home to take care of us. He felt terrible and I know he would have raced home in a minute if I'd asked him--he offered many times.

Now that I have a four-year-old, one of my coping mechanisms was setting out snacks for the day on the counter and putting John in charge of getting food for him and Mary.


Of course, fool was I to think that Mary would wait for her big brother to get her food!

Sure, there were tough parenting moments today, but mostly John was a really big helper. I think he really got it that I was sick and could hardly move. Many times he got up to tell me what mischief Mary was getting into so I'd know whether to intervene. He got snacks and cups of water, picked up toys cheerfully, folded a load of kitchen rags, and changed the kitchen trash bag for me. When I would have to say 'no' to many fun requests, he would respond sweetly, "Okay!" instead of fighting me.

Meanwhile, Mary gave me no small amount of trouble today! I'd been intending this week to try an experiment of letting Mary have more freedom to be upstairs when I'm down and downstairs when I'm up, as some mom friends have suggested to me. But first I had intended to buy a new stash of babyproofing supplies, such as door knob locks. I didn't get a chance to do that before today when necessity (read: nasty virus) forced me to let her try having some more freedom. I tried to keep doors shut, so she'd be closed in a room with me, but she can open doors. And apparently she can maneuver with ease through a baby gate placed at the top of the stairs! Some highlights from today:

* Mary took all the ornaments off the Jesse Tree and spread them on the dining room floor.
* She trashed the upstairs hallway bathroom and her bedroom.
* She found the only toothpaste not locked up and spread it all over the master bathroom.
* She climbed the kitchen counter and retrieved a pair of scissors from a high cupboard.
* She "fed the birds" by strewing a bowl of dry cereal all over the kitchen floor.
* And she climbed the counter in order to fill drinking glasses with whole coffee beans. This is a favorite pastime of hers that I catch her doing several times per week. How exactly does one babyproof a coffee maker? (see photos below)



4 comments:

  1. ? You know those very large crates they use for dogs inside when the owner is away ? electronic monitors used for persons out on bail ? Mary sure is a handful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, yep...Mary reminds me of Emma in SOOOO many ways!!!

    I still catch her doing things like this, at age four!!! Several months ago, while she was SUPPOSED to be taking a nap upstairs, I found her in our bedroom brushing our dogs' teeth with her baby brother's toothpaste (she EMPTIED the tube too, because "the dogs have A LOT of teeth!!!") and toothbrush!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary never ceases to amaze me with her climbing! I have no idea how you would keep her out of the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funniest part of all is that after all those stories of Mary's business (what an industrious girl!) the photos of her show her so SERENELY doing the mischief! As though it's just what must be done! LOL!!! Oh Mary, Mary.
    God bless your mama.

    ReplyDelete