Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mary Speaks and Speaks and Speaks

I am reminded of the theme song to the cartoon "Martha Speaks," about a talking dog Martha who "speaks and speaks and speaks and speaks and speaks . . ." Mary's language development is exploding and I just love this babyhood phase. I won't post her current list of words and signs because I am trying to post it only once a month, but I'll just say that when I posted it 14 days ago, Mary spoke 20 words and made 21 signs, but now she is up to 35 words and 27 signs. With John I was able to track his language acquisition through 18 months old when it became too rapid for me to keep writing down, and I just hope I can last that long with Miss Mary!

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how they explode like that. When Meg was 2.5, she had less than 20 words! We started using a few signs, which helped, but we had started late and they didn't do much good. Everyone was saying she was deaf or all the other kids talked for her, neither of which was true because she would run to the window when she heard an airplane, and we didn't let the kids speak for her.

    I started preparing myself for learning disabilities and writing down all her words---the goal was 300 by age 3. Talk about exploding! In 6 months she learned those 580 words! I kept the paper on the fridge...and by age 3 she was moving too fast to keep up with.

    I love to watch their language develop, too, and I hate to correct those adorable mispronunciations when they get older.

    ReplyDelete