Sunday, April 30, 2023

April 2023 (the Second Half!) in Review

 

Battling the Cicada Killer

Feel free to read on if you want to learn of my triumph in battle with a cicada killer. My California friends have probably never even heard of these beasts!

Tonight when I returned from Joseph’s hockey practice, I was mystified to discover Margaret and the two little boys sitting on the front porch. I was informed that there was a cicada killer in our kitchen. 

I am not particularly afraid of bees and wasps. My dad was a beekeeper for years when I was growing up. I am forever telling my kids not to be afraid of the plentiful bees and wasps on our property. But cicada killers are different. 



Chris and the two teens were gone, so it was just me standing between my younger children and sure death. (Not death from the cicada killer’s sting, but from our having heart attacks from fright!) Frankly, we would have considered just waiting outside but a rainstorm was coming and Chris would not have arrived home till 10:00 p.m.

I called my husband. I called my daddy—because 46 years old is not too old to need help with bugs. I was advised to spray Windex on the invader because that is caustic to bugs but does not damage anything inside our home. 

I began spraying the massive cicada killer and at first, it would just get mad and start flying . . . straight toward me. In response I would scream and run away . . . But not too far because if I lost sight of where the cicada killer flew, then I would be in a load of hurt. 

Spray, scream, run, repeat. 

Ultimately, the cicada killer could not withstand a quarter bottle of Windex. When I saw it was truly weak, I threw John’s Latin textbooks at it. 

Sacrifices had to be made. 

You will note the circled area in the picture: the cicada killer was so large that the heavy book could not lie flat!


Going on an Adventure

This caused enough big feelings for me for the whole day . . .

Mama’s feelings upon finding this note on the porch from her medically complex 7-year-old!

Mama’s feelings upon finding him on his Very Big Solo Adventure on the next-door neighbor’s driveway!


Planting a Garden

We planted some vegetables today! Wish me luck, as it has been years since I’ve attempted to grow a garden and our neighborhood is home to countless deer. The kids and I hope to enjoy garden care as a summer project.








Fidelis Ladies' Tea

I enjoyed the privilege of attending a mother-daughter Easter tea with my girls this afternoon! Our Fidelis chapter did a wonderful job hosting the event.




Reading Level 2

Thomas passed the next level of All About Reading! At a certain age, the little rascals start to be shy and reluctant about sharing fun news, but he is still excited.


A boy and his dog


CCE Showcase

CCE Elementary and Middle School had their end-of-year showcase, at which we parents had the pleasure of viewing our children's artwork, watching the middle schoolers perform English Country Dances and the recitation of memorized poetry, their receipt of awards, and listening to the elementary students sing in their choir.

This year, I stepped well outside of my comfort zone to be the choir tutor for the elementary school students. I taught one group of PK-4, one group of grades K-3, and one group of grades 4-6. None of us were professionals, so my goal was simply to make these young Catholics more comfortable entering into any parish, picking up a missal, and following along with the choir or cantor. About half of my fifty or so students participated in the showcase and gave glory to God singing the Pater Noster, the Gloria, and the first seven verses of the Stabat Mater.





Our dear five-year-old David earned an award for growth in patience!


Thomas and Joseph earned a certificate for memorizing 24 History songs . . .



. . . but Joseph would not pose for a photo and instead ran off giggling!


Mary earned an award for memorizing all the poems assigned for the year.


After the ceremonies, we enjoyed a potluck with the 120 or so family members present and played on the playground.



The Invincible Iron Man

Thomas received his first IV iron infusion, as his ferritin had fallen low enough to require one since he doesn't have the anatomy anymore to absorb iron normally. He was such a trooper about it all, even returning to the same infusion center where he received his chemotherapy. 


Daddy-Daughter Dance at St. Thomas Aquinas!



Maybe Energized by his New Iron . . . 

Morning chores and appointment complete, I search for my missing boys to start elementaty homeschooling. I find Thomas (7) outside with this getup, ready to climb a thirty-foot pine tree. Bonus points for wearing a helmet. Points deducted for the safety rope which is not tied to anything.



First Class Service

Tomorrow I get to use this special yellow telephone to order breakfast in bed from the hotel staff. I am already planning my meal. Regrettably, the staff member in question sleeps in approximately two and a half hours later than this early rising mama, so I may have to go *back* to bed to order my meal.



End of Spring Ice Hockey

Congrats to Joseph for finishing the spring hockey season strong! His team won their final game 8 to 3. Joseph showed fortitude when he (likely) broke his finger and got back into the game to play till the end. Sadly, John missed the last game of his season, having hurt his knee badly three times this season. Orthopedics told him this morning 'NO HOCKEY!' until we can get a looksee via MRI. He is maintaining a cheerful attitude!




David Working on his Phonics




Fraternus Camping Trip

John and his dad went on the Fraternus spring camping trip, which was a lot of fun even amidst heavy rains.





Middle School Formal Dinner and Dance

Meanwhile, the girls back at home were experiencing a much more formal and less muddy fun time! As part of concluding the Etiquette and English Country Dance courses they have been taking at their middle school program, they attended a nine-course dinner (!) and dance. The rec club was decorated so elegantly for the students. We are very grateful to the thoughtfulness and hard work that went into creating such an experience for these students.







No comments:

Post a Comment