Thursday, August 15, 2013

Practical Sewing Moments

I needed (specifically) a dark blue skirt below the knees for an event for Mary. Those are very hard to find. I didn't want to spend $40 on the only decent one I found while perusing the Internet shops.

So, I found a table cloth in my fabric stash--something I had bought for a couple of dollars at the Goodwill when I needed to make a prince costume for John


And I found a free tutorial for a circle skirt online.

It is rare that I can tell Chris that I saved us money by sewing clothing.


And within an hour of sewing time (elastic waist, no zipper!) I had a swishy skirt and a happy girl! (The tutorial said it would take half an hour, but my taking twice as long as the instruction estimate is typical for me!)


Meanwhile, John is learning how to mend clothing. He saw a hole in one of his shirts and requested to darn it himself, so I showed him how. He did a really good job, actually.

3 comments:

  1. The skirt came out completely adorable! Thanks for the tutorial. Its time for me to make more skirts for GAbi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that skirt! Finding sewing time is something I never seem to be able to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love circle skirts! They are so flattering! Great job and quick thinking!

    ReplyDelete