Saturday, February 9, 2013

First Outing with Two Boys

On Friday I made my first foray to a school event . . . baby steps! Our week with my mother-in-law's help in the house ended, so while Chris was driving her back home--he took the little girls with him--I took the boys to our Friday afternoon homeschooling co-op. (I really enjoy now being able to say "the girls" and "the boys"!) The children participated in a St. Valentine's day activity of making cards for our parishioner shut-ins and eating sweet treats.

John requested to light two candles and pray

Then any interesting girls were welcome to meet with the Poor Clare nuns and any interested boys met with our priest to hear talks about vocations. This was a great and more intimate opportunity for the younger children to augment the annual diocesan-wide Vocations Day for high-school boys (I don't think there is any such day for girls).

I felt the new confidence that comes with those early outings after a baby is born. Joseph slept happily in my sling for two hours. He nursed once and was successful at that, so I didn't need to use the back-up bottle I had packed. (The prior two days, Joseph got more of his calories from nursing than from bottle!!! Go, baby, go!) During the boys' talk, I waited in the church cry room, where I promptly fell asleep since I am bleary-eyed with fatigue these days. I wonder if the priest and young men got a chuckle looking back through the window at me, probably slack-jawed and snoring.

Then I got home, bodily tuckered out, and was very grateful for another meal delivered from a fellow parishioner!

I don't anticipate going out with all four children till co-op next Friday (when Joseph will be 4-1/2 weeks old!), by which time I should have my stepdad with me to help.

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember when you had 1 baby and insomnia and no matter how tired you were you couldn't sleep during the day? Fast forward to 4 babies and now you can fall asleep sitting up at church! You have arrived! ;)

    ReplyDelete