Thursday, November 15, 2012

How Do We Present the Vocation of Motherhood?

At Catholic Schoolhouse for three hours each Wednesday, Mary attends the nursery. This is the first kind of daycare experience any of my children has ever had--they haven't so much as been at a drop-in care at a gymnasium. With her buoyant personality, Mary loves attending nursery and "helping" all the other children; when John is sick, she begs to go to nursery anyway.

When I collected Mary from nursery this week, she joyously announced, "When I grow up, I want to be a nursery teacher!" 

I thought this was delightful as it's the first time Mary has ever had a notion of being something when she grows up. I asked her cheerfully, "What is fun about being a nursery teacher?"

She replied, "The nursery teacher never complains."

I felt a thud in my stomach. "What do you mean, she never complains?"

"She has nothing to complain about! She never complains."

The nursery teacher, who is taking care of about 25 children--many of whom cry for extended periods of time, children who probably yank toys, hit each other, and make messes--the teacher whom I have never seen without a radiant smile on her face--she has "nothing" to complain about.

And it was then that I realized that I complain, including to the children, about the duties involved in my vocation. I vocalize to them that they are making "extra" work for me. In my absolute worst moments, I've even said that something they are doing is "wasting my time." (As in, you throwing a tantrum for five minutes over simply getting dressed is wasting my time because I'd rather be doing XYZ than this.)

This realization of how I present the vocation of motherhood to my own children made me reflect on a conversation I'd had with a girlfriend just days before about the difficulties of raising young adult men and women, how to advise about pursuing college without acquiring debt, and how we should advise daughters especially to be very careful about entrapping themselves in a career (and associated education debt) they can't get out of when they change their minds and want to stay home with their babies. She and I know so many mothers who have admitted they'd rather stay home, but they're trapped in their careers due to debt and perhaps irresistible earning power.

So, here Chris and I very much want our daughters to have the freedom to be homemakers some day, but am I making that option appealing to my daughters? And do my children even realize that I love this choice? That I'd make no other choice? Or am I daily through my actions presenting motherhood as an exhausting strain without enough reward?


This morning Chris took John to an appointment, so I took advantage of the girl time together to make a necklace with Mary using the cute jewelry kit she'd received as a birthday gift.


During our special time (which Mary enjoyed so much!), I asked Mary, "Do you know what is my favorite thing to be?"

"What?"

"To be a mommy!"


Mary was shocked. (Another punch in the gut.) "Your favorite thing is to be a mommy? Why?!"


I explained that I get to have babies, raise them, be here for them, and get to know their little souls. As I listed out these things, Mary's smile grew broader and broader, she looked so shy and delighted, and finally she squealed with delight. 

I explained that I was a lot of things before I became a mommy, but that being a mommy is by far my favorite. Being four, it didn't occur to Mary to ask what other things I used to be. Someday she'll know that I was a college student, a world-traveler, an athlete, an owner of a business with which I supported myself, and a law student. But none of those could possibly top the rewards of being a homemaker wife and mother . . . nor were any of those roles anywhere near as demanding as my current vocation. None of those roles did much to sanctify my soul at all compared to being a homemaker.

Clearly, my young children can't read my mind that I value my vocation of mommy-hood as much as I do. They can't understand that I would never put this much effort into it despite the demands were it not so important to me. Apparently it wasn't enough to Mary that my principle nickname for her is "Precious," I snuggle with the kids while reading to them every day, I say "I love you" several times per day, and so forth. 

I actually have to start telling them how much I love being a mommy! If I want my daughters to desire to be mommies, they have to see it as something wonderful. If I want my son to take on a wife and support her in being a homemaker, he has to see it as something wonderful.

And, clearly, I have to work hard on not complaining. This will be a huge challenge for me (please pray for me), but I have new understanding of why it is so important.

Happy feedback . . . later this very morning, after I explained to Mary that my favorite thing is to be a mommy, I found her pretending to be a mommy! Not a nursery teacher--so there!

14 comments:

  1. On the other hand, you are presenting them with reality. Motherhood is HARD. Its not just all wonderful all the time. I don't shield my kids from the bad and ugly & they know the good too. Both my girls insist that all they want to be when they grow up is a mommy, so I haven't destroyed them from not being like "oh this is just the best thing in the world!" I'm not a mother because I think its the best thing in the world. I am a mother because that is the primary purpose of marriage. It could be that Mary's choleric/sanguine combo is going to want to be career-minded and she will have to arrive at motherhood in her own time, her own way. I would have told Mary that the nursery teacher is cheerful because she gets paid money and because she gets to go home at the end of the day and leave her work behind. :P Just kidding. Sorry, having a rough motherhood week over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I have a negative nancy disposition most days. You have reminded me of something I already know, it's not just my loving words, but my ACTIONS and negative words that speak to my children. I tell my kids 100 times a day that I love them, but the other day my daughter told me she wasn't sure that I loved her. Talk about a punch to the gut! Actions really DO speak louder than words, and the negative words seem to hold longer than the loving ones. I'll pray for you, and please pray for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand that guilty feeling about complaining! Ouch! And it's a good reminder, for sure. I think there is a balance, though, as Elaine is getting at. I think it might be just as acceptable to point out to the children when something is unpleasant for you and indicate that you are going to offer it up and do it cheerfully anyway. It's probably just as bad for them to think that you love scrubbing vomit on your hands and knees as it is for them to hear you being ugly about it. LOL :) Something in between is probably a good compromise!
    But yeah, my kids are well versed in the difficulty and trials of motherhood. :/ Not as sure they realize what a blessing it is, too. Good post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post Katherine! Thanks for writting it! A great reminder how important our words and actions are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A humorous follow-up, evidencing the power of my starting to "talk up" motherhood:

    Today I was humoring Margaret by putting a cloth newborn diaper on her baby doll. Mary leapt in and asked me to teach her how to put on a diaper. She said, "I want to learn how to put diapers on babies because I want to be a mommy someday!"

    Considering she has never said that before, it was a pretty nice salve to my ego wounds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine: I totally laughed at your comment and what you would have told your daughters. One could look at our two responses as classic evidence of two types of temperaments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I think more about Elaine and Sarah's comments . . . it's not that I'm saying we should lie and say, "I love cleaning up vomit." But are we not called to be cheerful (Christian cheerfulness)? I think of so many saint stories and how the saints took care of the disgustingly ill with love (charity) and cheerfulness. St. Damien cleaned the lepers' wounds and Bl. Mother Teresa took care of God knows how disgusting of dying people without complaining or throwing grown-up sized fits. One of my priests told me a story the other day of a saint whose name he was momentarily forgetting: She was cleaning the rotting sore of a person and kept almost vomiting: she was so disgusted by her own behavior and in order to mortify herself not to do that again, that afterward she drank the rinse water from the sore.

    So, I don't know what the "balance" is. I'm not advocating lying, as I said, but aren't we *all* called to be perfect as the Father is perfect, we are all called to become saints, and part of that means trying to be cheerful in the exercise of the difficult moments of motherhood, not just in the easy, joyful ones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for jumping in as a husband ... but I wanted to share something that is relevant from the talk given by Peter Kreft that Katherine and I attended last week.

    After the talk there was a Q&A session, and a woman asked a very interesting question ... she asked how do we instill the faith in our toddlers and children in a way that doesn't cause them to rebel in their teens and twenties where so much damage can be done.

    I thought his answer was so profound. He said to live and share the faith in a joyful way. How embarrassing to me that that passes as profound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally get/got your point and agree. What I am getting at is not so much a devil's advocate position as rather saying, let's not hide the fact that it's unpleasant, or they might turn around when they're in the same boat and think they are doing it wrong, and that it shouldn't be so hard.

    I mean, my parents vocally argued quite a bit and I also knew how much they were crazy about each other. That has given me more of a sense of serenity through trials in marriage than if I had never seen them argue, if they kept it behind closed doors and I just didn't know it happened. I might think that something was wrong in my marriage to have a disagreement at all. But because of their example of argument/resolution I know that fighting doesn't mean you throw in the towel on loving each other.

    In the same way I think we can admit our human reactions and then use that to show our children (if we can collect ourselves and enough grace to do so) how to properly react to these unpleasant things. I think that is a more teachable moment than putting on a pretty face. So I'm taking your well made point just a step further I guess. :) Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sore water story is just nasty, BTW. ugh lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. "My own dear mother was a martyr indeed, and it is not to everybody that God grants so easy a way to his great gifts as he did to Hilary and myself, giving us a mother who killed herself with labour and trouble to ensure us keeping the faith." -- J. R. R. Tolkien, speaking of his mother Mabel Tolkien after her death.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting food for thought in this discussion! I don't think I complain out loud much (venting to my husband after bedtime), but I know that my attitude can be less than ideal on some days even if I don't say anything to the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was fantastic, thank you, Katherine! Reminds me of a recent talk by Dr Peter Kreeft that I attended. He was asked by an audience member, "what can WE do as parents to help ensure that our kids won't grow up and leave the faith because we were 'too Catholic?' (Katherine, I think you were at this talk, too!). His answer: Love them, spend time with them, and be happy. They won't want to imitate you if they don't see you joyful." Then he said to remember the early Christians who died singing hymns of joy WHILE they were being eaten by lions! Their joy under such suffering compelled many of the onlooking soldiers to then convert because they "want what those Christians had." Joy!

    ReplyDelete