Sunday, March 4, 2012

Berewick Recreation Center

I got the scoop from a friend about a new young children's recreation center built adjacent to an elementary school in an up-and-coming part of town where many housing developments are growing up: the Berewick Recreation Center. It's open seven days a week, 12 hours per day most days, and it costs $1 per child to come play as long as one wants. Our tax dollars at work!

The rec center is only 16 minutes from our home, as long as one does not get lost for 45 minutes on the drive there . . . and for another 45 minutes on the drive home.

It was super! We visited there for almost an hour and a half and there was only one other child there.

The room is about 1,600 square feet, contains many high-quality toys, and is very clean (children's microscopic germs aside, of course). Note the four children's computers against the windows: I don't begrudge them to anyone, but I declared those off limits to my kids, saying that I did not drive them across town so they could sit on their bottoms and play computer, when they could do that at home.

When we visited, it had been raining all day, so my children got to run off much exuberant energy.











As for myself? I sat at this comfortable table and read my book in peace, only having to get up a few times to assist with toy squabbles.

We definitely plan to return!

7 comments:

  1. Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! This is EXACTLY like what we have! I go 4 mornings a week. It's WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that place!!!! I take the kids to our local library once a week...it has a similar play area, but nothing this grandiose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea. Thank you so much for sharing about this place! We'll definitely have to visit. And if you ever want to meet there, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful rece center, but I'm pretty sure it is where we picked up our latest illness. After two weeks of illness and cancelled social outings, we had a five-day reprieve, then a new cold for John, and two days later, the girls and I coming down with fevers and intestinal unhappiness. So, several more social engagements (two we'd been waiting months for) cancelled and lots of laundry to do. I feel like we're always sick. I hardly know how other families go to these public places often, or daily in the case of daycare/preschool/public school, because we seem to get sick virtually every time we go out. I'm running on three hours of broken sleep and a husband out of town for about two weeks straight, so have a sour attitude about it all at the moment.

    We wash our hands all the time, including at a wonderful sink right at the exit door from that rec center!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That place looks great! But I am so sorry to hear that you picked up a yucky bug there. How disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no! I'm sorry you have been sick and that you got it there! It looks like a great place to blow off some steam and I was going to say I would love to meet up there sometime.

    ReplyDelete