Monday, November 21, 2011

Family Pride

Our kids have discovered "bathroom talk"--you know, the ridiculous talk about bodily functions that makes them peal with laughter? Really, we're grateful it's taken almost five years before one of them figured out that this stuff was funny.

So, the last few days the kids have been doing this bathroom talk and we've been trying to nip it in the bud. (I know: all the more experienced parents are laughing at our naivete here.) Simultaneously, Daddy and I have been trying a new tactic about behavior in general by appealing to family pride. (Hopefully a licit pride, not bad pride!) About something naughty I might throw out there, "Oh, no, don't do XYZ. L----s don't do that."

Tonight I was walking out of John's bedroom when I heard Mary whisper conspiratorially, "John, let's play that game where we say [insert edited bathroom talk here]."

I paused outside the door to eavesdrop.

John: "No."

Mary: "Why not?"

John: "Because L----s don't do bathroom talk."

Mary (disappointed): "Oh yeah, that's right."

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!!

    Potty talk has found new life again with my boys lately. Grrr. They get one warning before dessert is taken away. I think I am about to start some kind of money jar (similar to a marble jar) approach. I'll fill it with $2 (maybe $3) in quarters. For each infraction, I'll take away a quarter. Whatever is left at the end of the week they can keep half. I may use the same approach with a few other behavioral issues (ie Will's potty "training," John Joseph's inability to put his dirty clothes in the hamper, the boys' hitting and kicking each other.....and the list goes on and on).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley: I've also been pondering starting to give some sort of allowance (need to brainstorm with husband on this). I need more privileges I can take away, esp. since we eat dessert only on holy days and TV is already limited to 30 minutes per day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I wonder if it would work at my house.

    ReplyDelete