Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Doing Good, Wiping, and Being Quiet


An old peanut butter jar decorated with stickers and containing some shredded packing wood pulp = a Good Deeds jar for Advent! Even as of last Lent half a year ago, John was not old enough to understand the concept of doing good deeds for something (last Lent: good deeds earned them pennies to give as alms at Easter). But this year suddenly he is with the program! I explained how it worked to the kids, emphasizing how good deeds are even more special when someone does something without asking or does it anonymously. Then I went to do a chore and I heard rustling in my laundry room: I discovered John trying to maneuver the canister vacuum by himself and he asked, "Mama, would vacuuming for you be a good deed?" So cute! The rest of the day was a flurry of John trying to find good deeds to do. And this morning a fight nearly broke out between the kids about who would wash which parts of the toilet ("No, I want to clean the inside of the toilet!") until I assured them that all children cleaning the toilet would get pieces of hay for doing a good deed.

I have discovered making homemade baby wipes. Margaret has been my first rashy baby. When she began getting tough diaper rashes, I had to learn how to treat them because John and Mary had never or almost never had rashes. But Margaret's rashes would never completely go away, just ebb and flow with treatment of zinc oxide 16% and an anti-fungal cream. I even consulted our pediatrician and tried several $10-per-tube specialty creams that were recommended. After months of this, more digging around showed me that perhaps the commercial wipes I was using were part of the problem: second ingredient alcohol! I know how drying alcohol is on my adult skin: just using alcohol gel on my hands the few times a week I'm out and about leaves my hands cracked and sometimes bleeding in the winter. And that is the hardened skin of adult hands! I'm really rather amazed that I've been wiping alcohol on my baby's sensitive, thin skin up to a dozen times a day (and have done this for three babies now).

So I sewed some flannel wipes and made a batch of homemade spray (2 cups water, one tablespoon castille soap, one tablespoon olive oil, 1-2 drops tea tree oil for antibacterial properties). Finally, my sweet girl's behind was healthy! With the commercial wipes removed from the equation, the zinc oxide and anti-fungal could do the job and Margaret's skin was healthy within the week and has remained healthy for the whole subsequent week, longer than ever before.

Now the only trouble was that using the cloth wipes was a real hassle, especially since I am using disposable diapers, so not doing loads of cloth diapers anyway. I had to launder my cloth wipes nightly just to have enough for the next day. And I have yet to find out how to use cloth-anything for diapering purposes without making my house smell like a cat litter box--and I had cats for 30 years and their cat litter boxes smelled better than my diapers pails even when I laundered cloth diapers nightly. So, that remains a mystery and it's too bad because I'm really fond of cloth.

So, today I switched to paper towel "wipes" (using soft Viva brand) with my spray and I'm so pleased! I could not find a container in which to store pre-soaked paper towels, but then I realized I could just store a roll of dry paper towels plus my spray bottle in a plastic bag and I'll be all ready to go. I haven't figured out how to take wipes like this on the go, but for the few times I'm out and about with the kids for extended periods, probably not too much harm would be done by using commercial wipes at those times.

There are many web pages about making your own wipes, but the one I like best so far is from Kitchen Stewardship.


I have a new Quiet Time strategy that might be a winner: keeping both kids together and in the den with an audio book. The joke around here is that daily Quiet Time is rarely quiet for Mama because I'm spending all my time putting Miss Mary back into her room, repairing the mischief she did, and defending John from Mary having invaded his room. It seems that despite my failure for 18 months running at getting Mary to stay in her bedroom, she will stay on the blue mat, while John is confined to a sofa. (I think Mary simply desperately hates to be alone, which makes Quiet Alone Time tough.) Right now we're listening to Paddington Bear on CD from the library and it is delightful: I hadn't remembered from my childhood that Paddington is "from the darkest Peru"! What fun.

14 comments:

  1. We used cloth wipes and a similar solution with Theo--worked great! He, too, was prone to rashes--not so much from diapers, I don't think, as from food allergies. When I'd eat something he couldn't tolerate well, his bottom would immediately turn bright red. One the offending item was out of his system, so to speak, his bottom would go back to normal. Anyway, cloth wipes/homemade solution seemed to work well. We did use "sensitive skin" commercial wipes when out and about, and that seemed to work okay. Not sure how to deal with the smell, though--I never noticed a particular odor from the used cloth wipes. We were laundering daily (as we used cloth diapers), but even still. Hmmm... They do have "odor-free" wet bags--maybe something like that would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, THIS is what you need! I've been using one for about a month now, cloth diapering with no stinkiness :=)

    http://www.nickisdiapers.com/planet-wise-hanging-wet-dry-bag.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hafsa: I forget where I bought my bottle of tea tree oil. Perhaps at the very hoity toity health food store in town. It's a miniscule bottle, perhaps half an ounce, because tea tree oil is used only 1-2 drops at a time in just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca: That product looks AMAZING! It looks like it solves every need! Oh my, I'm seriously excited. And the bags are so pretty, I wouldn't have any distress about hanging that in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm in love with that hanging bag! I have the daisy print one! It's so cute, and it really DOES work well...that in combination with the bumgenius diaper sprayer = zero stink issues here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, I am SO GLAD the homemade wipes are working for dear Margaret! I have been wondering whether her little bottom was faring better, and how you were doing with the effort. Sounds great.

    I am impressed that you let the children (attempt to) clean toilets. I would worry too much about T getting herself/her clothes dirty and making a general mess trying to clean. Maybe I'll get over that someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used audio books and music quite a bit with my children. Even now they go to sleep with music or an audio book playing.

    You mentioned that John and Mary enjoyed your reading of the Little House books. There is a wonderful audio version read by Cherry Jones. We listened to it on a car trip once, and even my husband was hooked. Mary may be a little young, but John might like listening to a longer selection that he can look forward to. I never thought of audio books as replacing my own read alouds to the kids--they were (and still are) a great supplement.

    I also played the Wee Sing collections for the kids at nap time. Wee Sing America was terrific for teaching the kids so many American folk songs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just use a plastic trash bin with a lid and a PUL liner. It is only smelly when you open it. But really, I have to wash the diapers in there every three days anyways, so really not enough time to get real smelly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frances: Well, I started "letting" the children clean the toilet a few months ago, so Mary was probably 2-3/4. And I'm standing right over them, I wouldn't leave the room. They're just doing it with Clorox/Lysol wipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anita: I just added the Little House audio CD to our library request list and added Wee Sing America to our Amazon Wish List! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica: Three days isn't enough time for stink to build up? Around here, literally the very first day, overwhelming smell, even in a closed lid can lined with a diaper bag. I seriously don't know why. But I'm so excited to try that bag Rebecca recommends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rebecca beat me to it! I was wondering what you were using to "store" dirty diapers that might cause smell to waft through the house. I definitely recommend PUL bags. I have several from Jillian's Drawers, Mother of Eden and even a seller on Etsy that have never failed me. I wash every other day, and in 5+ years I've never had an issue. In fact, I'm still using one PUL bag I bought when my oldest was born! I hope the Planet Wise bag works because it sounds like cloth would be a good solution for Margaret's sensitive skin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was the overwhelming smell of amonia or just stinky diapers? Perhaps if the smell was really that strong, the diapers had some build up on them? As another mom said, mine mostly just smells when the lid is open. I don't notice it otherwise. When I had problems with build-up and amonia smelling diapers: I COULD NOT STAND IT!

    Do all comercial wipes have alcohol? Have I somehow missed this fact? Clara has had some rash too, and it seems to do ok if i am very diligent with the zinc oxide cream and uncovered prefolds during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah: I don't know if my diapers had build-up in them. Perhaps so. I am going to try cloth again, so if they are stinky, I'll strip them.

    I did a Google search and apparently there are alcohol-free commercial wipes (presumably more expensive). Perhaps those would be a good option for me to keep in the car for when we're out and about.

    ReplyDelete