Saturday, October 8, 2011

Healthy Foods for Climbing Energy?

Source of photo

I believe that God has given me a consolation in having a second child--raised exactly as the first in terms of food--who eats about as polar opposite as the first child (an aficionado of white-only food, a boy after my own taste buds). Or maybe he is trying to teach me humility in that I don't actually have control over certain aspects of how our children turn out. Imagine that: God creates taste buds, not little old me!

I have not yet ceased to laugh and be amazed at moments with Mary and food.

* Last week, I was preparing vegetables to make soup for the subsequent day while the children were eating a dessert of ice cream cones. Mary shrieked with joy at seeing the carrots, and asked for a full-sized carrot in lieu of her ice cream, which she left to melt and be thrown away.

* Chris took us to dinner last night to give me a break and Mary ignored the pepperoni pizza we had (probably foolishly) ordered for her because she was being a vulture, picking away at my salad. Some of her favorite treats are raw red onion, bell peppers, and red cabbage.

* Today at lunch, Mary ignored her cupcake from the pumpkin patch (which she never even got 30% through) and her PBJ in order to eat as many cooked broccoli off my plate as she could until they were gone.

* She regularly refuses to eat macaroni & cheese and other "kid foods," instead eating adult-sized portions of meat. Her favorite breakfast these days is sausage (while John is on something like day 823 of eating toast with cream cheese for breakfast--only a slight exaggeration).

* The babysitter often brings with her a grapefruit and eats it unsweetened . . . well, she eats as much of it as Mary doesn't steal from her! The sitter is also the one from whom Mary learned she loved broccoli and salmon.

1 comment: