Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My First Curtains

I have sewn my first curtains (using this free pattern). I am very grateful to my friend's mother D---, seamstress extraordinaire, who gave me advice on fabric choices and construction. I chose a blue/grey-and-white striped seersucker fabric with white muslin for the lining. I thought the fabric would be slightly masculine and utilitarian to match the garage. The photo of the curtains is perhaps boring because the window is at the top of an elevated ceiling and there was no way to exclude the garage door track from the photo.


And now the view into the garage is blocked from the outside, which is always safer. I plan to make the same curtains for two more garage windows and a different curtain (blue/yellow toile) for the laundry room; then I'd like to repair the professionally made curtains (that came with the house) in the dining room whose muslin lining has shredded in the constant sunlight.

Another success of the day was finally--after more than thirty years--finding a recipe that makes carrots palatable to me: Cheesy Carrots!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice!

    Learning to sew is one of those things that I have on my "to do" list, but I never seem to be able to set aside the time to learn...and I really want to!

    ReplyDelete