Monday, March 7, 2011

Plans for Lent 2011

Lent begins imminently, so I am scrambling to put together plans for our family. I am trying to keep my goals simple because of expecting a baby during the season, which I know will throw me for a loop. This is not the time for ornate craft projects or rigorous structure, which I will then fail at and be left feeling terrible.



During Lent, Catholics strive to (1) give up a licit good for purposes of increasing temperance and bodily mortification (e.g., if I don't possess self-discipline to resist the small stuff that is licit, like Skittles candies or second servings, then I certainly won't possess self-discipline when the big sinful temptations attack); (2) pray more; and (3) give more alms. Jesus admonished that we should fast without appearing gloomy (Matt. 6:16-18) and, in that spirit, I understand that it isn't good Catholic politeness to advertise one's personal Lenten goals, so I won't--but Chris and I are working on our lists! (In my research, I found this fascinating chart of Biblical references to fasting. Fasting has long been far more important to Christian spirituality than it is practiced right now--and I'm the first to confess that I am terrible at fasting of any kind.)



I will share some of our family plans and my goals for the children (which mainly means John). I keep in mind that any goals and plans may be so much chaff in the wind depending on how I feel physically and when I have this baby!



I bought a little children's book on Lent, which I plan to start reading with the children today.



I plan to make pancakes for Shrove Tuesday. Does anyone know of any dinner recipes for Shrovetide? Essentially, the food should be fat and delicious! (I learned here and here that "shrove" comes from the word "to shrive," which meant "to hear confessions," referring to the practice of Catholics going to Confession right before Lent began. We still use a related word in the phrase "to give short shrift," meaning to give little attention to others' excuses.)



On Ash Wednesday, we'll attend Mass and receive our ashes on the forehead.



Last Lent, I did the Lenten Cross activity with John. At three, he was a bit young for the daily Scripture readings and didn't get a whole lot out of it. But six months later, John loved the parallel activity of Advent readings, so I think he will enjoy the Lenten cross this year. If I can't manage to do anything else with the children this Lent, these short daily readings are my primary goal.



I'd like to do a children's version of the Stations of the Cross, which a family would typically do at a church or at home on Fridays during Lent. At this website, I can print out simple line drawings, perhaps we'll color them with crayons, and I'll affix them to a wall somewhere in the house.



I'd like to try to introduce to John this Lent the concept of making sacrifices and giving gifts or doing good deeds for others because of our love for Jesus who sacrificed so much for us. I think I might write out many different little ideas of good deeds and sacrifices John can do and put them in a basket, with the gentle suggestion that he could pull out a slip of paper each day and think about doing the activity. Examples of ideas would be sharing a toy with his sister, picking up his toys cheerfully, or praying one Hail Mary for somebody's intention. Then there are various ideas one can attach to this to make it more concrete for the young child. I have heard of making a crown with toothpick thorns in it; then the child gets to remove a thorn from Jesus' crown each time he does one of these good deeds. I've heard of making a paper cross on the wall and letting the child paste on a scrap of colored paper each time he does a good job, with the goal of creating a beautiful "stained glass" cross in time for Easter. I thought of perhaps giving John pennies when he does good deeds (and how cool is it to give pennies this way?), which he can then put in a little alms box which we would take to Mass each week to deposit in the poor box. I am still deciding what I'm up for doing in this regard.



There are several excellent feast days during Lent:



March 17: St. Patrick's day: read the story, talk about the symbolism of the shamrock and snakes, possibly cook a Shepherd's Pie and Irish soda bread.



March 19: St. Joseph's day: read the story, possibly bake St. Joseph's bread, attend our friend's St. Joseph party



March 25: The Annunciation: read the story, perhaps color a picture of lilies (symbol of purity), pray a Marian prayer


Following is an excellent guide to Lent from this resource:


GUIDE TO MAKING A SPIRITUALLY PROFITABLE LENT IN PREPARATION FOR THE PROPER CELEBRATION OF EASTER

The Lenten discipline consists of three separate parts:

1. Corporal or External Fast, including the abstinence from certain foods, drinks, and amusements, i.e. music, and parties during Lent. These points of fast should be stressed today especially with the mania for entertainment besetting our society;

2. Spiritual or Internal Fast which consists of abstinence from all evil----sin. Saint John Chrysostom taught that the "value of fasting consists not so much in abstinence from food but rather in withdrawal from sinful practices." And Saint Basil the Great explains: "Turning away from all wickedness means keeping our tongue in check, restraining our anger, suppressing evil desires, and avoiding all gossiping and swearing. To abstain from these things----herein lies the true value of fast!"

3. Spiritual Change achieved by the practice of virtues and good works must be the main objective of our fasting. The Fathers of the Church insisted that during Lent the faithful attend the Lenten church services and daily Mass. In the course of the centuries, our fasting discipline has undergone numerous and radical changes. Today, unfortunately, the observance of Lent is but mere formalism, reduced to abstinence on certain days and without any stress on one's spiritual growth or the amending of one's life style. It is urgent that we return to the pristine spirit of the Great Fast which is so badly needed in our materialistic world. Listed below are suggested practices that may be used along with your usual Lenten family traditions of sacrifices and penances.

Corporal or External Practices:

Take less of what you like and more of what you dislike at meals today.
Take nothing to drink between meals.
Do not use seasoning on your food today.
Do not use any sweeteners with your food or drinks today.
Avoid listening to the radio at all today.
Take nothing to eat between meals today.
Avoid any TV or videos; instead read the Passion of Christ in your Bible or Missal.
Take only one helping of each item at meals today.
Say an extra Rosary.

Spiritual or Internal Fast Practices:

Don't do any unnecessary talking; instead, say little aspirations throughout the day.
Exercise your patience today in all things.
Don't make any complaints today.
Restrain any anger, and go out of your way to be kind to the person
who caused your anger.
Don't be distracted with someone else's business.
Avoid any gossip today. Instead say an extra Rosary to overcome this great fault. When asked to do something extra do so with a joyful and pleasant attitude today.
Speak in a pleasant tone to everyone today.
Avoid using the phone today.
Tell the truth in all your dealings today.
Avoid any vanity or self-seeking today.

Spiritual Practices: [virtues and good works]

Practice humility today in all your actions.
Be generous today; help someone in need.
Look for ways to be helpful throughout the day.
Do a job that needs to be done without being asked.
Be courageous; walk away from any impure situations today.
Don't be at all idle today. Always be doing something for others or for your spiritual growth.
Go out of your way today to help or talk to someone who is usually difficult.
Volunteer for an extra job today.
Say an extra Rosary today for the conversion of a sinner.
Visit someone who is sick or lonesome today. Offer to say the Rosary with them.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps a ham or some other pork dish would be good. Serve with yummy mashed potatoes. This is one of my favorite recipes, and the leftovers for Thursday and Saturday will save money. Pork roast with Carolina gravy: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001886359

    I think we will be doing pancakes tomorrow morning, too. My children will be so excited! We have soccer practice tomorrow night, so I don't know what we'll do for supper.

    You have great ideas for Lent. For my children, I think I will do the Lenten Cross and work on almsgiving. Those two things will be difficult for them, but as a family, I will be working on forming a better daily schedule for us....the kids need a little more predictability to help teach them better self control. (so does the mom). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all those ideas, links and excerpts! I need some inspiration too! I just went to Holy Heroes and signed up for their Lenten Adventure. If you haven't done their advent or lent adventure before, they have very good content presented by kids (a nice Catholic family that lives in Cramerton, I believe!) They send an email a few times a week. Sometimes I'll use it as a fall back if I find that I haven't been doing many "seasonal" things with the kids, and they love the opportunity to watch a video at the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like this book for Stations of the Cross: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Cross-Stations-Children/dp/0829418199.

    I also found these: http://ukbookworm.blogspot.com/2008/02/stations-of-cross-three-part-cards.html. They are a little young for three part cards, but they will still be useful.

    I've been working on our Lenten plans to post on my blog too, so those should be up today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed up for the Holy Heroes mailings as well. Catholic Icing had a lot of good Lenten activities--- you have some excellent ones!!

    ReplyDelete