Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Little Good Samaritan

Mama at 36 weeks

Often I wonder if John is listening to me. I think his favorite book of stories is the Bible, not because I foist it on him but because he asks for it so often. But I still wonder if he's listening or "getting it." He's only four and he gets jumpy and antsy when we're reading, at which point I quietly close the book and ask if we're done reading or if he wants to calm down . . . and he usually wants to calm down and read more (but sometimes not, and that is okay).

But then John will say something that shows me how closely he is listening all the time . . . Today John noticed out the window that our neighbor's American flag had fallen on the ground. "Mr. R--- needs help!" he remarked to Daddy. Then John saw a jogger go by and said, "Daddy, that neighbor is walking by and not helping. And there is another one, another neighbor who is walking by and not helping! It's just like story where those robbers beat the man up and people walk by" (the parable of the Good Samaritan, which we'd been reading earlier this week). Then my boy quietly ran out of the room and returned with his socks and shoes: "Daddy, will you help me put my socks and shoes on? I want to go across the street and help Mr. R--- because Mr. R--- is our neighbor." Chris inquired, "And do you know that the Bible says we should love our neighbor?" "Yes! And I love Mr. R----!" (And then the fellas went across the street and righted the flag for our neighbor who was not at home.)

Of course, John listens and imitates whether I'm saying things good or bad. I recently heard him get frustrated about something and say, "Oh, come on!" with the same ugly, rebellious tone of voice that his Mama uses. So much for the heavenly virtue of patience!

5 comments:

  1. you guys are so tame. i just heard soren yell to one of his sisters, "why did you freaking do that?"
    ahhh! lol
    i definitely have my work cut out for me this lent...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I think that might be your Brooklyn genes coming out in Soren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have both boys now imitating my "moan of frustration" that I had previously thought was better than saying some sort of ugly phrase... but it turns out the moan is pretty ugly too now that I see my boys reflecting it back to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris- totally :) unfortunately i live in the south so ... yikes :)

    ReplyDelete