Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Day 2010

Sleep? Who needs sleep? We got to sleep at 2:00 a.m. after Mass and the kids still woke up at 6:30 . . . not because of excitement (they didn't have any built-up expectations about receiving gifts on Christmas--probably the last year that will be the case!) but because they naturally wake up that early no matter what. It was additionally hard for this mama because I had taken my anti-emetic medication after Mass only four hours earlier, as one of the ingredients is doxylamine (otherwise known as a sleeping pill). (And, amazingly, taking the medication only four hours late made me feel sick all day.)


Last night, Mass went fairly well. We had already dressed the kids before bed in comfortable daytime clothing, so all we had to do was put sweaters, socks, and shoes on sleeping children. We wrapped them in child-sized afghans to take to Mass so as not to fuss with jackets. Mary in particular cried for about a five-minute transition of getting into the car (making me wonder if I would regret this whole attempt) and, when I tried to soothe her and suggest she go back to sleep, she screamed, "I don't want to go back to 'seepies' in me car seat!" John ended up sleeping through almost the entire liturgy, while Mary stayed wide awake in my arms. She was in awe at how the church had been festooned ("Wook! Christmas trees! I think they have wights!") and with the exquisite music being sung and played from the choir loft.



We opened stockings--note the one Daddy put out for the new baby that is coming! In the afternoon, John told me sagely that "the new baby isn't here yet anyway" and "candy doesn't last forever," so could he have the new baby's chocolate? We also opened about two gifts each. We were so pleased that, once we explained to the kids how we'd be opening gifts every day for twelve days, they were calm and essentially satisfied with what we opened today. There was very little resistance, and no tears or moping about the pile of presents left remaining. Now, we'll see how that really proceeds for the next two weeks, but it went very well this morning.






John quite liked the book we put in Mary's stocking: "Who Is Coming To Our House?" and memorized it almost perfectly after hearing it four or five times.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find children's sunglasses that do not have cartoon characters or things such as flames or skulls on them? (About as hard to find the same in toothbrushes, pajamas, etc. . . .)



We gave the kids new snow boots in their current shoe sizes. We made sure they opened that gift today because we were expecting a possibility of snow--and, indeed, snow began falling lightly right at bedtime! The weather man is saying we will get two to five inches overnight.

John is so "unbranded" that doesn't even know that cartoon characters are available in all manner of paraphernalia, such as stuffed animals. (This is the child who saw some Sponge Bob Square Pants pajamas in Wal-Mart recently and asked me, "Why do those pajamas have cheese on them? That's silly!") Despite his familiarity with Curious George (we have about a dozen books and eighteen episodes on DVD), when he opened this thoughtful gift from his aunt and uncle, he exclaimed, "A monkey!" He spent all day calling it "a monkey" even though we told him who it was. Also, the stuffed animal gave the opportunity to show the innate difference between boys and girls: As soon as John opened it, Mary rushed over, grabbed it, and began cradling it tenderly like a baby. Then John found a long ribbon, tied it around the stuffed animal, and began swinging it wildly around the room to see what he could smash.


John received a kazoo in his stocking and Mary's big gift today was a selection of percussion instruments, so we broke out in a spontaneous family music-fest, each one of us playing an instrument to a random tune we made up. John had great fun conducting us, telling us when to start and stop the music.

We started this idea of opening gifts over the Twelve Days of Christmas not so much to be traditional but to help with John being overwhelmed with opening gift after gift when little kids naturally want to stop and play with one toy. We saw this effect by the time of his first Christmas at twelve months old. In fact, this morning I noted that John in particular (who shares my more quiet temperament that becomes overwhelmed) paused after stockings, retreated to the kitchen, and sat on the windowsill. When I found him, he asked if I would please sit down next to him and "have a cereal picnic." So I sat down and he would eat a piece of dry cereal and ask me to eat a piece of dry cereal, so it was our own little quiet communion for five minutes before he wandered back in the den to open a big gift. Why would we want to force him to "get over" that calmness?

For breakfast, I made a casserole of eggs, bacon, vegetables, cheese, and hash browns plus a coffee cake (Trader Joe's mix--highly recommend it!) and bagels. Mary fascinates me, in that she ate all her casserole before she'd touch her cake (same child who rejected some fun kid lunch last week in order to eat my green salad).



At breakfast we sang "Happy Birthday" to Jesus.

Unfortunately, I was experiencing a lot of pregnancy aches and pains today so after the morning's excitement, I had to spend most of the rest of the day lying on the couch. It's very humbling for me not to be able to "do it all" like a Super Woman Mama. I'm grateful that I have only to contend with my own self-criticism, as Chris is very supportive and understanding.


8 comments:

  1. Very fun! Liam *still* calls Sponge Bob a cheese when he sees items with the character on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day! I had to LOL at the Sponge Bob "cheese" man. My DS has called him all sorts of fumy this too, but the one he uses most is the "rectangle guy" and asking why he has holes. I love the non-branding of our kiddos. Commercial-free childhood! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 things to say. 1 is about the sleeping pill ingredient thing - I *once* tried Tylenol PM on the advice of my husband while I was ill. I had ONE. And the entire next day I felt "hung over" (though I've never been) - haven't tried it since. I know the Bendictin is different than that, but I know your feeling. Second thing is... I'm impressed that you took your kids to midnight Mass. I think we may attempt such a thing when our youngest is perhaps 5 or 6, or 10... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine: Yeah, the hung over feeling is awful. Although, I do think one becomes immune to sleeping pills over time. I still manage to have insomnia and get 4-5 hours of sleep per night, even while taking this darned drug!

    Re: Midnight Mass, we're still figuring out what we might want to do. This is our second year doing it. We managed, but, yeah, there are some rough aspects. I felt like a truck had run over me all of Christmas day and definitely did not have energy for many festive activities. (But my back was also whacked out of shape too, which is why I couldn't stand long enough to make a Christmas dinner and Chris ended up cooking quesadillas instead. :) I think it took us old fogeys until this morning, the 27th, to feel like we'd caught up on our sleep. But the Midnight liturgy is by far the most meaningful from the Church's standpoint, so we want to try to make the effort. Yet we must balance that with station in life. We'll just see what happens in the next few years as there are (likely) more little ones in the mix but not too many older ones yet. It might get harder before it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Katherine! What a lovely and beautiful celebration. I too know how hard it is to find sunglasses without anything on them as I just bought M some this past summer. I pray he never knows things like Sponge Bob. :-(

    I'm sorry your back was in such pain. Midnight Mass- that's just wonderful. I think we might try it next year- going at 4:30 this year didn't seem to make much difference in behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also have the "Who is coming to our house" book. The kids love it. But my husband thinks it's funny that a pig is touching Our Lady at the end of the book. He jokes that it's definitely non-kosher. :)

    Also, it is so nice to hear that other people don't like to do characters and such for their kids. Our extended family doesn't understand that our kids just don't know who Dora, or Elmo are. While we think it's great that a child can love a monkey just because it's a monkey, not because it's 'Curious George'.

    Something we tried for the first time this year with the kids that your kids might like for Advent is a manger. My husband constructed a manger that we filled with straw every night during advent. We would each put a couple of hands full in and say that we were preparing a bed for the baby Jesus. We would ask Jesus to help us to be a good mommy, brother, son, daughter...etc. And then ask baby Jesus to help us to become Saints. Then when Christmas was getting a little closer we had the children check the manger each morning, and when they found the baby Jesus, that meant that it was Christmas and Jesus' birthday. They LOVED it. Except my son informed us that it was NOT the baby Jesus in the manger on Christmas morning, but his sister's baby doll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of opening presents each of the 12 days of Christmas. I'd like to change some things in our household so that our preparations and celebrations can better coincide with the ligturgical year and the *real* meaning of Christmas!
    However (if I may pick your brain), I am wondering if you have thought about how the 12 days thing might work out with more kids and as they get older? (I'd think 12 presents for every child would add up pretty fast, but I'd also imagine some communal gifts might be in the mix as well...) Or will you play it by ear and just do it in the younger years for the reasons you stated? (which makes so much sense too!!) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah: We're figuring things out as we go, tweaking the plan each year so far. There are down sides to opening gifts for twelve days too! For one, I never intended to buy twelve gifts per child. I just saw a big pile of presents and there were enough for somebody in the family to open a present every day for twelve days. But I'm sure as kids get older, that won't work anymore because they'll count gifts. Chris and I are now talking about next year opening relatives' gifts on Christmas day (or for a few days, if there are a lot) and opening gifts from us on Epiphany--then focusing on Christmas/religious activities for the days in between to emphasize that Christmas is a season, not a day.

    ReplyDelete