Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To Laugh or to Cry

Scene: John had been playing Mass with his Mass kit and was now wandering around the play room holding a small wooden crucifix. I don't even remember what I said to cause John to reply: "Mama, do you remember Jesus?"

Mama: "Um, yes."

John: "Do you remember the cross?"

Mama: "Yeah . . ."

John: "Well, that is why you shouldn't speak rudely to me. Jesus doesn't want us to speak rudely."

Does a Catholic mama feel chagrined at being corrected by her three-year-old or does her heart soar with joy at his actually showing some understanding? I think hearts are capable of doing both at once.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I find that understanding ALWAYS takes the fast track when it relates to how OTHERS are to act toward ME! ha ha. But I guess if we don't know how we want to be treated, we can't quite get the golden rule, can we? Bravo John. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Faith: Yes, John always shows crystal clear comprehension of rules when he is scolding his sister, but then seems clueless at times when it comes to the rules and himself. :) Well, we've got to start somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminds me of my son. Every night he tries to prolong bedtime by asking me question after question, or by telling me something. Sometimes I lose my patience and respond very curtly to him, and his response is always, "Mommy, can you please say that in a nice way."
    What good boys we have....

    ReplyDelete