Monday, August 10, 2009

Paninis for Dinner

What's Cooking? I haven't mentioned what's cooking lately because usually it's pretty simple fare! Today I tried something new: baking French bread! I placed the ingredients in our bread maker, then let the machine do the kneading and first two rises. Then I took the dough out, shaped it into a loaf, let it rise for 30 minutes, and baked it in the oven to get a nice, crunchy crust. The bread tasted so wonderful at lunch that I got the idea to make panini sandwiches for dinner, served with (store-bought) tomato soup. On the sandwiches, I put turkey (in Chris'), mozzarella, basil, kalamata olives, roast tomatoes and red bell peppers, and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I don't have an actual panini grill, so I cooked the sandwiches in a pan. They were so wonderful, if I do say so myself!

2 comments:

  1. That looks & sounds lovely, Katherine! We make our own french bread here at home as well - did you try putting a pan with water in at the same time as the bread was being baked? The steam helps out and makes it that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. That sounds wonderful, and your plates are really pretty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete