Friday, November 7, 2008

Drawing vs. Writing

I think yesterday marked the first time John successfully drew something representational that I could recognize. He was drawing and told me, "heart!" I mostly ignored him and said vaguely, "Oh, heart?" without looking at his work. A minute later when I sat down next to him, I noticed the interesting jagged line, "John, that's a nice line." He replied, "stairs!" I realized that it did look quite like stairs and that is when I noticed the heart-like shape in the lower right of the page.
John now distinguishes between drawing and writing (the latter of which he calls "name" because he thinks everything written is a name). He is starting to recognize the letters in his own name, not that he can write them. He says his name is spelled "O-H-N." Below is a video of him "writing" on some cardboard boxes.

2 comments:

  1. What a great series of posts.
    Great job on the drawing, John!

    Did he have a story about why the heart was at the bottom of the stairs? :-) I learned a couple years too late to write down the stories of the drawings when they were dictated. I thought I would certainly remember but I never did.
    I bought some sheet protectors and 3 ring binders, and now when the children draw a keeper I date it, annotate it, and place it right in one of the sheet protectors. Now it's easy to browse through it like a book admiring the various stages of their drawing prowess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah: That's a neat idea! I didn't think to ask John if he had a reason for his drawing, but I don't think he has the language skills to tell me if he did.

    Of course, Chris had already teased me mercilessly that John drew a heart at the bottom of the stairs because he knows a new baby is coming and his heart has "fallen down the stairs" and "broken" because of my betraying him this way.

    ReplyDelete