Tuesday, July 24, 2007

One Bad Day

Last night we set up a proper gate for downstairs. It will keep John from getting up the stairs or escaping out of my view (from the kitchen) to the front rooms of the house.
If you look closely, you can see Daddy on the other side of the gate.

John is teething. I can see the white bulge under his gum. Today was bad. Very bad. I'm not sure whether Infant Tylenol or Hyland's Teething Tablets are working, but I've tried both. Today I tried driving to a woman's house where I'd never been and what should have been a 45-minute drive there became two hours. I was lost out in the country and didn't have my cell phone because Chris is borrowing it. I kept pulling over to try to soothe John and to ask for directions, but nobody knew where the roads were I was seeking. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. I even stopped by a pharmacy, where I couldn't find Infant Tylenol but did find teething tablets. I was standing in the parking lot, trying to shove one tablet at a time under John's tongue and hold it there (rather like giving a pill to a cat), while he screamed in rage. I was worried that a passerby would call the police because most people don't see white tablets and think of dissolvable homeopathic tablets! Finally I just drove home, which took another hour, for a total of three on the road during which time John was screaming the entire time. Bad day. Very bad.

9 comments:

  1. Poor baby!!! Tylenol doesn't seem to touch the pain when the teeth are about to erupt. Infant's motrin works the best for that. It's such a horrible thing; I can't imagine having to endure that kind of pain. I hope he feels better soon.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those teething tablets are such a Godsend! Infant Motrin helps too...John should be old enough for that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Katherine! I'm so sorry you had such a bad/stressful day. I know how you felt [read my post about our trip up to Helen]. I hate when we're driving and there's nothing I can do for the baby. Sad to say, but with our first, dh and I would turn the volume really high when dd#1 was crying! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to buy Infant Motrin today and try that.

    I edited the blog entry to include the part about shoving white pills in John's screaming mouth in the middle of the parking lot and how I worried that the police would be called.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly: What have you done with the other six kids? When you're stuck driving in the car, isn't turning up the volume the only thing left to do? That's what I did yesterday because no amount of pulling over to nurse John was helping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all the road trips we've had Emma on, we found that stopping to nurse, while always an immediately solution to soother her, ultimately made things worse for her. She would get hysterical when I put her back in her seat. We finally had to steel ourselves during her fussing fits, crank up the stereo, and soldier on. Talk about a killer!

    Fortunately, she's a great traveler now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can always call me, I am usually within feet of internet and can google map it for you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. you didn't end up getting where you were going? whose house were you going to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah: I was without my cell phone because Chris was borrowing it.

    I was going to the home of a friend-of-a-friend to borrow her Amby Bed to see if it would help John sleep.

    ReplyDelete