Monday, July 23, 2007

John Finally Ate Something: Pinto Beans!

Now John is getting into the DVDs on the third shelf. Where is my entertainment armoire with locking cupboard doors?!

Today I didn't resist buying John a new toy: a cheerful cement truck on the Target clearance rack.
Of course, John preferred a junk mail magazine that came in the mail. That is, until he began gagging on it before he stupid mother realized that paper is a choking hazard.
And then there was John's first bruise today. He bonked his forehead while pulling up on the newel post. Mama was very sad for him.
Here is John napping in my Ergo on the front (he is usually on my back). I repeatedly kissed his lips in his sleep--I couldn't resist.
Pinto beans . . . who would have thought it? We were at the pediatrician's today (not about the bonk or the gagging) and chatted about foods. She thought it was just great that John is still exclusively nursed and said he would eat when he's ready. She advised us to continue letting him play with food when we're eating, as he wants to do, and let him just eat what we're eating (made safe for a baby). She also said baby food should be flavorful, not bland (one hears just the opposite as this as well). When I was making dinner tonight, I remembered the pediatrician mentioning that beans were fine, so I took a tablespoon of plain pinto beans, pinched each one so it was squished, and gave them to John. And he ate them. Maybe he ate half of them, I'm not sure. He'd eat some beans, then take a sip of water from his cup (with my help), then eat more beans. It was the cutest thing.

Oh, by the way, John weighed 18 pounds 14 ounces today (46th percentile). I won the wager with Chris this time.

9 comments:

  1. Beans were some of my kids first foods as well... I bet if you made him some rice he would eat that as well :) Sounds like you have a vegetarian in the making ;) Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. John sleeping looks so much like Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vegetarian? I don't think so. My son will know how to kill and field dress a deer by the age of 10. ... and "Animals are yummy" will be among his first spoken sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know...i always let the babies play w/paper, they just really need to be watched. I swear, that's one of Charlie's favorite things to play with! And i couldnt believe john is standing/pulling himself up and all. what an achiever! While I sat here yesterday and applauded Chunky Charlie for sitting up for the first time from lying on his belly. what can i say, he knows how to work us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I read that you should feed babies bland food too, but Emma NEVER liked anything to be bland. She's been into really flavorful foods since we first introduced solids (we started early with her though, because she was really into our food right away).

    She likes to play with paper too...I'm constantly fishing it out of her mouth. She likes to wadge it up like the chimps at the zoo...YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly: So what you're saying is don't give your baby a piece of paper and just walk away like this stupid mama did . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried cheerios? They are a game and a 'food' good for motor skill development.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't tried Cheerios yet, but will soon probably. John doesn't have the pincer grasp yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He could grab them by the fistful to develop that pincer grab. Just put only three or four. Between licking his hands and grabbing he will end up with them sticking to his hands and face and he will get them. My kids used to sit and work at it for quite a while (long enough to do the dishes) and it was entertaining to watch them. LOL.

    ReplyDelete