Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Day 119-120: Mama and Margaret Celebrate!

In an absence of fewer than 18 hours from Thomas, I was blessed to share a very special birthday celebration with Margaret, who is turning 10 on Saturday next!

It is our family tradition to celebrate birthdays on a small scale within our family and we save parties with guests for the milestone years: 5, 10, 13, 16 . . . . So here Margaret was going to experience a milestone birthday and after suffering much loss and stress in the last year, and her dad and I so greatly wanted her to have special recognition. I feared if we simply delayed her special celebration "till things quiet down," we would never get to it. We could have done a big "experience" birthday but with COVID restrictions, everything fun is sort of ruined.

Thus, I approached Margaret to brainstorm ideas and she presented me with a perfect idea suiting her quiet personality: She wanted to go away for one night in a hotel with her Mama. Given that this girl (and this mama's) favorite thing is peace and quiet, this idea was wonderful.

Given how fast things are constantly changing with Thomas, I did not feel I could set a date in advance. Then this week came and I knew that various scans were going to be done to determine if Thomas needs a new, major surgery, in which case I wouldn't be leaving his side for a very long time. Once I realized that it was Tuesday morning and nothing was scheduled for that very day, I flew into action!

Chris booked our room at the beautiful Hampton Inn and Suites . . . and conveniently we still had enough free points to pay for it from back pre-COVID lockdown when Chris' career required frequent travel. I emailed Margaret a special invitation and apparently, upon its receipt, my sweet girl was showered, dressed in a beautiful dress, fingernails painted, and bag packed within the hour.

We checked into our beautiful hotel room with its gorgeous view of Philip's Place shops and restaurants.



Margaret posing as an important businesswoman

Margaret luxuriating on the sofa

We are so delighted in our girl turning double digits! She is a lover of order, quiet, and peace. Her nose is usually in a book: when I asked her last night what she is reading these days, she listed off half a dozen titles, mostly classic literature, some fun, and said sometimes she just gets bored of it all and "grabs ten books off the shelf" to take to bed with her. Since I've been gone from home for four months, Margaret helps our three-year-old if he wakes in the night crying. Margaret is our resident nurse and the sometimes grumpy perfectionist (of everyone else's behavior!) is replaced in a flash when any sibling is injured: she is on the scene fast with medical supplies, prayers, and a crucifix (for meditating on Jesus). When I asked her what she wanted for birthday gifts, she explained that she could hardly think of anything since she already has everything she could want.



Margaret and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at The Cheesecake Factory without even having to wait in the typically hours-long line because of a fortunate-for-us combination of COVID lockdowns and rain on a regular old Tuesday night.


When we got back to the hotel room, we prayed our Rosary, asking for the intercession of Fr. Kapaun and Fr. Kowalczyk for Thomas. I am so exhausted to the bone these days (weeks, months) that I kept falling asleep while leading the Rosary. Finally Margaret said sweetly, "Mama, it's okay, you can close your eyes. I'll pray the Rosary for you." She led the whole rest of the Rosary while I tried to follow in my small capacity.

Margaret declared this "the best hotel stay of my entire life." I'm so glad I could do it with her before coming back to the hospital to face scans and the great unknown.

Thank you to the fellow mom friend who said yes when I called with mere hours' notice to babysitting that night! God had providentially kept that calendar date open by reserving it for many weeks, but then on that very Tuesday, all the other friends who were supposed to join her for an event had to cancel. Thus, my friend had just realized she was free when I contacted her asking for help.

Thank you to our other children for giving up Mama. I only come home about two nights a week and they lost one of those nights so I could give Margaret this gift. They were entirely gracious!


No comments:

Post a Comment