Thursday, July 9, 2020

Learning About Our New Normal



This week seemed to have been about our exploring our New Normal, to borrow a very tired phrase from the coronavirus pandemic.

How yucky would Thomas feel from chemotherapy? How often would those feelings strike? Would it be predictable or not? How would I get back to cooking for our family after a month of not having to do so--thanks to all you blessed loved ones! (Turns out it took me more than 5 hours to plan a week's meals and place my grocery order online, which means I'm way out of practice!)

So excited when I read Narnia nightly


I caught up on so much of life administration this week.
  • We planned Thomas's 5th Birthday Drive-by Celebration for just over a week from now. Lots of little things to write, plan, order, purchase, etc.
  • I rescheduled John's June surgery and concomitant COVID test for August.
  • I caught up on well-child doctor visits, which had been cancelled when Thomas was diagnosed.
  • Thomas had his post-op visit via Zoom. Healing beautifully.
  • I packed Thomas's "go bag." If he develops a fever, I am supposed to drive him to the children's hospital without delaying to pack an overnight bag. I am directed to apply the EMLA cream to his port as we get in the car because when we get to the hospital, their goal is to get him on IV antibiotics within 30 minutes, without waiting for his skin to numb. Therefore, cancer patients are supposed to have a "go bag" which contains the bare minimum needed to spend a night in the hospital, so I packed that, which was a sobering task for me.
  • I finished enrolling our 8th grader in the two online classes he will be taking and I ordered most of the rest of our books for the upcoming school year for all the five grades (K, 2, 4, 6, 8!). I still don't know what it will be like homeschooling while Thomas is still in cancer treatment, but at least I will have our supplies at hand.
Brothers sword fighting with Lincoln logs



An Old-Fashioned Summer (sort of)

The children are getting their new sea legs, too. They are getting the hang of doing even more chores to keep the house running during uncertain times. I don't have them doing any homeschooling (like we normally would be during summer), but I have been getting them back to picking music pieces for the new season and doing more serious music practice.

Mostly they have been having a good, relaxed summertime: sometimes joining me on my morning walk, swimming, playing tennis, playing street hockey, playing so very many board games: Ticket to Ride, Stratego, Uno, Dino Dig, Suspendo, and catching fireflies in a Mason jar in the evenings (fun, nerdy "how to" video).

John (13) is busy with his lawn mowing business (and this mama is proud of his hard work!). He is currently mowing four lawns per week!

I'm reading aloud "Puddnhead Wilson" to the oldest three, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" to Joseph (7), and "The Summer of Monkeys" to the whole family.

Swimming daily is such important exercise for this boy undergoing chemotherapy!

Joseph and David baking muffins with Mama
I strew books around the house quietly:
This week, the kids are dragging art appreciation books off the shelves. I love seeing this in action.

These three analyzed artwork together for about an hour!


Many deer on my morning walks

Many bunnies on my morning walks


First Clinic Day

Tomorrow (Friday) is Thomas's first clinic day! Thomas will go into the clinic once weekly to have all his blood numbers checked. Sometimes we might be there only an hour, sometimes it might unexpectedly last all day if his blood numbers are bad and he needs medications of a blood transfusion. It will be all new to us!

Recent sketches by Thomas (4)

Recent sketches by Thomas (4)

1 comment:

  1. You and I have a mutual friend (real life for you, Facebook for me) who has kept me updated on Thomas' condition. I have been praying for your family for the last month.

    Regarding the nausea Thomas is having, would you like the recipe for homemade ginger ale that my former in-laws use to manage my former father-in-law's nausea? (He has been fighting multiple myeloma for 10 years.)

    ReplyDelete