Friday, October 11, 2019

{SQT} New Godparents


1. Parish Carnival

The children greatly enjoyed attending the annual parish carnival again this year: click here. I'm getting old, old, old because my being there only two hours (while Chris put in six hours!) made me so tired that I am going to note on my calendar next year that Carnival Day has to be a day I serve pre-made food for dinner because cooking is too much!


2. Godparents!

We are new godparents to a precious, wee girl who was born only three days prior! I got to hold her and rock her to sleep for the entire traditional baptism ceremony--I have no words for the sweetness! (No pictures.)

Mary had to cut out very early from the carnival the day before to attend her orchestra rehearsal and then had to miss the much-anticipated baptism on Sunday because of her orchestra's fall camp (half-day rehearsal). All in the same week, we offered her one extra violin lesson before seating auditions and the only time slot available conflicted with a really fun event she was anticipating, but she chose the extra lesson instead: She is growing and learning much about making sacrifices for a longer-term goal!




3. The Birds' Big Day Out

We had cause to go to our first veterinarian appointment as pet owners, something I haven't done since my single days in my 20s when I owned cats and a rabbit. Mary's finch, Clara, was looking ragged so we took her in, which was a pretty fun diversion for Mary amidst her school day.


The vet's office had advised that Clara might like her mate Peter to come along just for companionship, but I do not think we will do that again. Peter escaped inside the vet's office and then again when we arrived home, which was much worse because it was inside of our large home with its easy access upstairs and all over. Both parents and all the kids halted work and school and spent 15 minutes waving our arms wildly and chasing Peter around the house until John victoriously captured him.

Peter on the loose at the vet's office

4. Theater: "Peter Pan"

On Wednesday, I got to attend theater with my children for the first time in about ten years, since my first ones were all preschoolers. For all these plays since then, I have sat outside the theater and sent them in without me because I always had nursing babies and running toddlers who could not attend. This was a real loss to me because community theater has been one of my great joys since I was in elementary school! 

My first play back with the children was "Peter Pan," the Broadway version and done at a highly professional level. What a fabulous experience! I just wish I could have sneaked photographs of my children's faces during the two-and-a-half-hour performance: unadulterated joy!


Broadway’s timeless classic delights children and adults of all ages.
Fly to new heights in the Tony Award-winning musical that never gets old. Join Peter as he whisks the Darling children off to Neverland in a story filled with magic, delight and adventure. Together, with the help of everyone’s favorite fairy sidekick Tinkerbell, they’ll face-off against crocodiles, evil pirates and the villainous Captain Hook. With a sprinkle of pixie dust and a dash of imagination, Peter Pan will awaken the child in us all.






Unfortunately, the rest of that day was hard emotionally with kid STUFF, medical STUFF, emotional STUFF, school STUFF.

5. Medical Maladies

Joseph skinned his knee quite badly and Nurse Margaret rushed to his side. Her best always comes out when somebody needs medical attention.



  • Someone tripped badly and partially ripped off the big toenail and injured the big toe, maybe fracturing it, we don't know.
  • The toddler sprayed Oxi-Clean in his eyes, causing panic and many minutes of flushing his eyes and screaming. He was then fine.
  • Someone is having painful tooth problems.
  • Just the other day, someone wondered aloud why the squirrels who drink from our pool never fall in and drown . . . and then it happened today. So, I guess one of our neighborhood rodents had a medical malady, too.


6. Miscellaneous Matters

Chris and John stopped into a pet store so tiny that it sold almost no pets, mostly just cat and dog food, only to discover that somebody moving away had dropped off there this large (but still juvenile!) cichlid, which the store could then only sell for its base adoption fee of $10 instead of the $20-30 it would have cost on the market. A showcase fish for John's new tank, which is coming together so beautifully!


The girls never really got into the electronic circuitry kit that John played with for years when he was younger, but now Joseph (almost 7) has discovered this new fascination. Just like his big brother all those years ago, he doesn't even bother with the instruction booklet but discovers how to make machines that work by experimenting.


Joseph told me they were three fierce ninjas, but I'm not so sure about that smiling guy in the background.




7. Bonus Listening


Sister Agnes gave a talk to a chapter of the Confraternity of Catholic Homeschooling Mothers about her memories of her aunt Rosie Gil and encouraging motherhood: you can listen here. Mamas, this is a really nice one.

Audio lecture on YouTube: "Effects of Modern Music: Influence of Angels or Instrument of Satan?" Br. Patrick Joseph's MICM lecture on Music at Montfort Young Men's Retreat 2019. Parents, this one is so important and useful. This talk is good because it does not give examples (audio clips) of the objectionable music referenced. Also, it uses very discreet language and descriptions of certain immoral behaviors, so I find it will be appropriate to share even with children.


For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

1 comment:

  1. This Accounting tutor thanks you for teaching your kids about "opportunity costs" early on.

    ReplyDelete