Thursday, April 18, 2019

Thursday's Week in Review

A Week in Review before the Holy Triduum begins . . .

1. Super Busy Weekend: Part I

The weekend of Palm Sunday was overly busy and Chris and I were so grateful to have each other to juggle and balance all our duties and events.

On Friday, we attended Mass as a family at 7:00 a.m., then John attended CCE, while I took the other kids to the grocery store, bakery, and cemetery. Chris took the kids (at their request) to pray at the abortion clinic (in the pouring rain) and, after their completing afternoon chores and music practice, Chris took the oldest three to 7:00 p.m. Tenebrae services, left John at the Fraternus lock-in, brought the girls home, and went back to retrieve John to sleep in his own bed.

Despite being up till nearly 11:00, the fellas wanted to be woken at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday to make breakfast sausage for 40 boys and get back to the lock-in bright and early.



John played sports with the guys for five hours before Chris took him to a birthday party. Meanwhile, I braved a deluge and flash flooding to take five kids to their last ice skating class and evaluations to see if they ranked up.

Flash flooding
It is so cute to watch the littler guys skate, especially three-year-old Thomas in his fireman helmet!





Without Chris' typical help to juggle the transition, I had the little boys take a car nap instead of going home, took everybody through drive-through for lunch, and delivered Mary to orchestra practice.

2. Super Busy Weekend: Part II

Come Sunday, Mary had choir practice before the Palm Sunday Mass which lasted three hours. It was beautiful but certainly took rigorous work for all the parents. I was so impressed that even more people than normal came to our Latin Mass, knowing how long it would be, when they could have attended the Novus Ordo: about 350 souls! I watched and all those many children--in the pews, in their parents' arms, in strollers--were not eating a bite of food in the church, or playing games, or reading books, and certainly nobody had electronics out. Good job, parents!

David sleeping through a Very Long Mass

The photos of the Mass are all courtesy of Marcus Kuncuro:








After Mass, John and Joseph joined in the first occurrence of a sports-team that is going to meet once monthly after Mass. The boys always play games, but this is going to have teams, jerseys, rules, and points. The fun was multiplied when one of the priests showed up to do his own exercise and decided to join the boys for basketball. All the parents and siblings were cheering and a lot of us brought brown bag lunches. It was super!




3. Notre Dame

On Monday of Holy Week, the 850-year-old Notre Dame cathedral in Paris burned. This is grievously sad for practicing Catholics and those of us who have been there in person are touched on a personal level. We thank God that the Eucharist (body, blood, soul, and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ), holy relics (such as Jesus' crown of thorns) and saints' relics, as well as much artwork, was saved by a human chain of heroic firefighters.

We told our children the next morning and there were tearful eyes among us.

4. Introducing Peter

Apparently I have no bird afficianados reading my blog, or you would have been laughing and emailing me to tell me that Heidi is a male zebra finch. Zebra finches are sexually dimorphic, with strongly different color patterns.

Male on the left, female on the right (source)

Heidi's bright red cheeks were a "tell" to anyone who knew anything, which was obviously neither me nor any of the PetSmart staff. Further, Heidi sings and sings, while Clara never found her voice: it has been too long since I took a zoology class to remember that most birds who sing are males--decidedly true of zebra finches.

So, our mystery is solved: Heidi is a male, Clara is a female, and these are real baby bird eggs. Mary has renamed the male bird "Peter," who is the goatherd in the novel Heidi.

And now we wait to see if the birds will successfully hatch!

Clara and Peter nesting

5. School Break

I took off teaching school for Holy Week (to prepare for Easter) and Easter Triduum (to actually celebrate Easter).

This is now the calendar entry I actually enter into Google Calendar a year ahead of time for every Holy Week: "GOAL: Take off Holy Week: It is way too stressful to keep schooling and achieve anything holy or domestic."

Only the middle schooler had a full load of independent work for his hybrid program (because he won't be able to do it next week) and all kids had music practice (the oldest two in the final two weeks of preparing 10 and 15 songs, respectively, for the big Guild event). He also got a new lawnmowing client!


6. Annual Standardized Testing

We scheduled our Annual Standardized Testing for Spy Wednesday. I was able to leave the 1- and 3-year-olds with Chris at home, so I sat for almost four hours in a quiet room while my children were being tested and I got to read nearly 100 pages of my book! Compared to the pitiful three to five pages per day I now get to read, this was a 'feast'!

I always say that the standardized testing is to make sure Mommy is teaching them right, so it's really me being tested, not them.

Results: Mommy is doing fine. Carry on!


7. Maundy Thursday

Thursday was busy-busy-busy with preparations, including dying the Easter eggs. It was fascinating to watch that I really was not needed there, the older children are growing in leadership so well. 







John served the Thursday night liturgy while Chris and the girls attended. I kept the wee ones home, read the Bible story about the Last Supper to them, and tucked them in. The three-year-old was so interested that he sat up in bed, looking at the Bible for twenty minutes.



4 comments:

  1. What a very beautiful family you have and what a witness you are to others, as well as me. Thank you so much for taking the time to blog about your life. I hope that you and your family have a Blessed and Holy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, but I'm a little put off by the digs at the novus ordo and the comment about nobody in your parish bringing food for babies or holy books for wiggly toddlers to help them stay quiet in Mass. As a fellow Catholic mama, it's hard to see that. our oldest is only 8 and we're expecting number 6, so we have a robust crowd of preschoolers who sometimes need gentle direction via saint books, shining light dolls, chews life rosaries, etc. and while everyone's liturgical preferences are different (we lived in Rome and enjoyed stunning papal liturgies) I have found the reverent novus ordo to be the more family friendly and more accessible option for Catholics in all ages and stages of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear JK,

      Thank you for telling me about your distressed feelings! I would have been sad to think I hurt a fellow Catholic mama's feelings and didn't even know it.

      I read again my paragraph in question and I truly didn't mean a dig at the Novus Ordo in this case. I simply meant amazement at the other parents at the Mass because I feel like I hardly know what I'm doing to get kids through Mass. I keep my tots out of the sanctuary till they are two, and then my husband takes the toddler and teaches him one-on-one how to get through the Mass! Honestly, when I found out that the Palm Sunday Mass would be about 3 hours long, I began texting my various friends to forewarn them to go to a Novus Ordo (1 hour long) or bring a bunch of food and toys.

      And our Latin Mass Holy Triduum liturgies? They get moved from our regular parish (which has two excellent cry rooms with windows and speakers, as well as a safe area outside to walk) to the local high-school (which has no cry room or even hallway), so I do not attend ANY of them. They are not days of obligation, so I stay home with my kids 6 and under because I am unable to entertain them or punish them enough to last through hours-long liturgies indoors, or dream of keeping them silent, and then there is nowhere else to take them. Plus Thursday night, Friday Stations, and the Passion all occur during their normal sleeping hours! My older crew will attend the Easter Vigil late at night, but I will take the little ones to the regular Sunday, daytime Easter Mass.

      I don't know what it is like to be expecting #6 with the eldest only 8 (my eldest was 10 when #6 arrived), but, even if I did, every family makeup is different. I know that over the years, I tried books, coloring, dollies, chewable rosaries, and all MY kiddos ever did was throw them, squabble over who gets which toy, and hit each other with them, so I finally just adopted a no-toys policy. However, I see other children peacefully reading a little saint book and I am always impressed by that.

      By my words, I simply meant that I was impressed (and I think it is worthy of admiration) that extra people showed up for a penitentially long service during nap time with their large broods of kids and did so without PROBLEMATIC activities--like crunching Doritos in the actual pews, or playing with an iPhone or a loud board game during the Mass.

      I am sorry for offending you. Please be encouraged to keep going to Mass with all your little ones! Think of how very, very many Catholic families just don't even bother. You are being a hero for the faith in your domestic church to keep going, Sunday after Sunday, when I know how hard it is.

      Blessings,
      Katherine

      Delete
    2. No offense taken, thanks for your gracious response. Our 2.5 hour veneration of Cross today certainly felt penitential, even with all the extracurricular liturgies we blitzed them with all week. I think it will always feel a bit extra tough as long as there's a 2 year old around.

      thanks for your beautiful witness to family life and or your writing.

      Delete