Thursday, October 25, 2018

Clever Things that Are Working

I have an idea to start a new blog series, published irregularly, called Clever Things that Are Working. I'm part way through my first cup of coffee, so I can't think of a more pithy title right now.

I like to be able to share little, clever "hacks," as they're called nowadays because sometimes I feel so utterly stupid for not discovering or realizing something for years on end, but I imagine I'm not the only one.

(I'm no longer an Amazon Associate, so I don't earn anything from any purchases.)




Keeping my three-year-old close is working. I've stopped trying toddler busy bags or teacher-intensive preschool teaching activities. I just can't do that at this phase of my life, but it is working beautifully to keep my young three-year-old very close. He loves to sit next to me with paper (a stack of which is right there), stickers (worth their weight in gold), crayons, and scissors. I teach Kindergarten and smile at him approvingly when he asks to show me his creations.

Letting my toddler and preschooler wander out of my direct vision does not work and I've stopped allowing that.


I wondered if purchasing this large, and rather expensive, caddy from Michael's was going to be gimmicky but it has turned out to be one of the best organizational purchases I've obtained in years. A number of organizational items I buy, try, and donate away. This one is fantastic. All our (downstairs) supplies are in one place, which saves us time, they are staying neat for the first time ever, and it's attractive. I love this one!

My caddy gives me a smile every day.


Sorry, readers, but I do not know the name of this wonderful device recently installed by the professional baby-proofer we hired. (Does anyone know what this is called? Leave it in the comments!) The professional was worth his weight in gold. For a decade, I have struggled against rascally preschoolers busting into my pantry and stealing food in between meals. I've tried various clumsy baby-proofing devices and none have worked. The professional brought this little hinge, all of two inches long, and he placed it high enough that our five-year-old can unlock the door, but nobody shorter. For the first time, my current three-year-old cannot raid the pantry and it has been such a huge blessing. This little device is simple to install, simple to use, and does not mar the look of the door.



The Wall Nanny protective feet that we've been using for some months now have stabilized two of our baby gates that were always knocking loose. They are revolutionary and, after twelve years of baby gates, I am dancing a happy dance (while my baby cries on the other side because he cannot tear apart my bookshelves).


LISTS and SCHEDULES. This is not a thing, but is a practice, and it is working very well for us.


I use the Seton planners--there are many types of planners out there: these are $5 and work well for me--to write out all our work for the week: columns are days and rows are subjects. Then each night, I look at our schedule and write out each student's list of assigned work according to a time schedule. Writing out the assignments as a time schedule in the first place will not work because our schedule varies by day according to planned activities (e.g., sports, music) or outings that have come up spontaneously but that I do know about the night before (a doctor's appointment).


Writing out schedules for four students takes me 20-30 minutes. Twenty minutes late at night is a sacrifice, to be sure, but I have found the benefits during the chaotic daytime when everyone is awake and wanting my attention to exponentially outweigh the cost. When I slip into thinking that homeschooling "should" be more relaxed, should be more spontaneous, should be more independent, and I drop the schedule or the lists, our days suffer, our moods suffer, there is chaos, and much school goes uncompleted.

Is there any winning as a homeschooler? If one has the children all working independently, one is accused of being "a workbook mom" (said as an insult--does it always have to be?), accused of leaving the children to teach themselves (is that always a bad thing?).

If one keeps the children on a strict schedule and teaches subjects in a direct fashion, parent-teacher to children-students, one is accused of doing "school at home" (an insult that is different from "home school"), one is criticized for being over-involved or babying the students (as if they need no direct teaching at all?).

So, I really don't know what is right, what is best, what works for one family versus another. For us, a list and a schedule is helping me and the kids very much.

I take John's lesson plan for the week . . .

 . . . and transform it each evening into the next day's schedule.

I have so much to learn that I greatly appreciate tips, tricks, and glimpses into the homes of other moms in my station (homeschooling large families), so I'm happy to pass on any things that are working for us, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment