Friday, June 29, 2018

{SQT} Visitors from the Lone Star State


1. School Planning

I have chosen virtually all of our school curriculum, am putting the final touches on how to build a schedule around it, and then will be writing out the daily lesson plans for the year. I'm grabbing every fifteen-minute block I can, with children swirling around me during all of it. I'm sure many of my homeschooling cohorts can identify!

Trying to get the big picture of my plans



2. David Eating

David (10 months) doesn't yet swallow any solid foods (puree or anything else), but he sure is enjoying his feeding therapy homework of being given any large, whole solids to explore. He fusses at me from his high chair until I give him something, and he loves gnawing and biting into shreds everything so far: steak, sausage, chicken, plum, orange, various crackers, yogurt melts, green bean, carrot. This baby loves flavors and textures, so that's a "win" in the feeding therapy journey!

And he is saying "Mama!" intentionally to indicate me, which I think is making up for the numerous babies before him who always said "Dada" first.



3. Bountiful Baking

The oldest three children are on a baking streak, baking things independently left and right. This is not helping me.






4. Biking and Walking

Thus, I continue going on many walks, with the kiddos walking or biking as well. In the mornings, I don't even change the baby and Thomas (almost 3 years) out of their pajamas, just for ease and speed of getting us out the door. So, if you see a pajama-clad preschooler dashing down the road, he's mine.





5. Visitors from Texas

Chris' brother and his family visited us along their road trip from Texas, so that was a fun diversion. The children really enjoyed playing card games, Legos, and talking about books with their high-school age cousins. We served a spaghetti feed and an ice cream bar.




Aunt and baby

Uncle and baby

Aunt and baby

Cousins

Cousins


6. Margaret on Violin

Margaret (7) has taken up the violin for something like six weeks now, maybe less, and she is blossoming like I haven't seen. She takes ownership for her practice, rushes to it right after breakfast, and often does a second practice later in the day just because she wants to. She seeks out the Suzuki book tutorials on YouTube to learn the next song and the next, and then is that much better prepared for her lessons when her teacher can coach her and help her polish her songs. Watching her feel peace and joy about this instrument makes this mama feel prayerfully gratified.

Teaching herself from a YouTube tutorial







7. Boys' Camp


John is off to boys' camp again! The morning that he left, he set his alarm unnecessarily early at 5:45 a.m., came downstairs dressed within about five minutes, and invited me to learn how to play Gin Rummy with him: constantly busy though I am, I did not have to be asked twice. I will miss my boy for about ten days!



For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

No comments:

Post a Comment