Monday, October 3, 2022

In Which Sloth Lost his Nose and It Was Returned to Him


I couldn't bear to post this symbolic "tragedy" when it happened: Sloth had his nose bitten off by one of the puppies! Sloth was already Thomas's best beloved stuffed animal when he was diagnosed with cancer, so Sloth accompanied him to chemo, slept with him through all the illness, went with him into every scan, and waited for him after the many surgeries. When Thomas was intubated and sedated for two months in PICU, the nurses warmed my heart by moving Sloth around Thomas's bed. Thomas himself was immobile and unconscious, but the fact that Sloth "moved" around the bed each day brought seeming life into that room.

Therefore, when one of the dogs got ahold of Sloth and bit off his nose before we could intervene, this hit me in a place in my heart I didn't know about. Frankly, it felt a little bit like Thomas himself was mortally injured. I'm sure there is some serious trauma wound in my psyche!


Thank the good Lord, I was able to repair Sloth's nose with superglue, even if it is not perfect. Little Thomas was overjoyed to get back his best little buddy!


And I can tell by his little smile that Sloth is grateful to be back on his overnight post, keeping Thomas safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment