Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Self-Isolation Day #54

Wednesday, Self-Isolation Day #54

We request continued prayers for my husband's mother D. She has been sick with COVID-19 for about five weeks (now negative, but still sick) and is now out of ICU and recovering at a long-term, acute care facility. She is still on a ventilator, and we are told this facility specializes in breathing therapy to get her independent of the ventilator. 



It turns out that we did not get through last night's storm entirely unscathed, even if the tornados and large hail scooted south of us: our fence damaged by the tornado in February collapsed for once and for all. Once the roof is replaced next week, the fence is next.



The day was one of school, music, housecleaning, backyard play, and front yard football. I am deeply ensconced in The Hound of the Baskervilles. You know a book is compelling when I say, "Well, yes, I guess I must go sit outside and supervise the children playing . . . to keep them safe . . . and I guess I'll just take this book with me."


I loved watching Joseph (7) in his bed while his little brothers fell asleep (yes, it was still light out!): he was feverishly writing a story--"Memories of my Life"--in a notebook. Ten minutes later, he was still writing when I left him there . . . .


In the evening, we played "Ticket to Ride" and watched some more of The Call of the Wild miniseries (2000) on Amazon Prime. While it is rated for ages 7+, our kids seem more sensitive than general guidelines, so we have the kids ages 9+ watching. The story seems to be taking a lot of liberties, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.

Bonus Reading for Posterity:




1 comment:

  1. A lot of my teacher friends who are in states like Washington where schools are closed for the rest of the year are refusing to give their kids 6+ hours of work a day. Instead, they're giving them an hour a week (for middle school on up in that particular subject, elementary school is more), and telling them to go do something experiential that applies it.

    I think that this situation might change a lot about how teachers teach.

    ReplyDelete