Saturday, March 28, 2020

Self-Isolation Day #15

Saturday, Self-Isolation Day #15


Please pray for a serious private intention for our family. Thank you for those who are praying.



Landscapers are deemed essential workers and landscaping companies are essential businesses, so it turns out one can do planting projects while on lock down. I went to the nursery website, placed an online order, received a call from the staff person who asked me questions and talked about plant availability, paid over the phone, drove to the nursery, pulled up curbside and stayed in my car, gave my name, and the staff person loaded my plants into the trunk. (They also offered home delivery for an extra fee.)


We planted marigolds to bloom at the feet of our Marian statue.



We planted 25 strawberry plants in two planters, which I located inside the pool fence so as not to feed the deer tasty strawberry treats.



Children drew life-size chalk houses in the road . . . John mowed a lawn for a neighbor . . .


. . . and then we all cleaned the house, vacuuming all rooms, cleaning all bathrooms--within 45 minutes to earn a cookie! Take longer and you still have to do the work, but don't get a cookie! It feels so good to start the next week with a fresh house.

7-year-old vacuuming the house

Beauty

Last week I swapped out clothing for the next size up for two kiddos. Today we went through our 13-year-old's clothing because he is growing like a weed--but way more handsome than the weeds that have overtaken our lawn--and we weeded out (ha ha) something like three-quarters of his clothing for donation, and now have a list of what we need for online shopping! No shopping in person these days, so thank goodness for mail order and the delivery men still working.

Family movie night and the end of another day . . .

Holy Communion during the plague in Marseilles, 1720

Bonus Reading in anticipation of Sunday tomorrow:





5 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if you've heard of qanon and what thoughts you might have, if so. Reading yours and your husband's reflections on our present circumstances causes me to nod in agreement over and over again. I'm also currently reading Taylor Marshall's book which I'd previously dismissed out of hand as hysterical, but after the last 6 months or so I'm not sure what to think anymore. signed, a fellow homeschooling mom of 6 😅 (couldn't have written that sentence a month ago but here we are)

    ps I'm asking because you've shared you were once into new age stuff and so I value your discernment on the matter. feel free to email me back directly if you'd rather not post this as a comment. juebbing@gmail.com (Jenny Uebbing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jenny,

      No, I had not heard of QAnon. I read about it briefly on Wikipedia and it left my head spinning such that I could not keep reading! One certainly wonders. Some of the things we think are completely black helicopter conspiracies turn out decades later to be true.

      Re: Taylor Marshall's "Infiltration," it was given to me as a gift and I thought it was too "out there." But then I began reading it and it perfectly matched a number of other, reputable books I have read on Church history. Marshall seems to have carefully documented everything he is claiming. I am halfway through it and riveted.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your very good research on Holy Mother Church’s role during this pandemic. It is extremely sad to think that people who are gravely ill in hospitals don’t have the comfort of a love one by their side or last Rites from a priest. As requested we will spiritually adopt a person in such a situation. Let us also remember those who live alone who though well have no contact with family or friends. It is sad to think that there are people in such a situation.

    The illustration you found of how Holy Communion was received by the sick during the Marseilles plague is most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      Indeed, those solitary in confinement at home or in nursing homes bring me such sorrow to think upon. Anecdotally, I know of a lady whose career is as a hairdresser who works in various nursing homes, doing old ladies' hair. Of course, she had to stop doing her job even before the rest of the country had to stay home. She says the nursing home folks are in confinement in their rooms, not even allowed to socialize together. Her clients keep texting her about how incredibly lonely they are and some would rather risk contagion and die than just be kept in a room. They can't take it psychologically. It breaks my heart! Our confinement is so easy compared to theirs!

      Delete
    2. That is so sad they aren't even allowed to gather in small groups. I can hardly imagine it! I can understand no outside visitors but they are not going anywhere so it doesn't make sense that they can't visit with one another.

      The situation of priests not being able to visit the sick in hospitals is also extremely troubling. Of course, even if allowed in, would the priest then have to be quarantined? Could a couple of brave priests in each major city at least be dedicated to this? It would be a tremendous sacrifice, but perhaps a few would be willing?

      -Andrea

      Delete