Friday, September 7, 2018

{SQT} Labor Day Weekend edition

1. Anniversary of Neil's Death


Last Friday, we visited Mom and Neil's grave on the first anniversary of Neil's passing: click here.


2. Buffalo, NY


Then for Labor Day Weekend, Chris spontaneously (with about 24 hours' notice) took the girls on a special Daddy-daughter trip to a mini-family reunion in Buffalo, NY: click here.


3. Gardening Project


Back at home, I had the four boys to myself and I chuckled that cooking for "only" four children and myself meant I had to purposefully scale down.

We did a big gardening project on own and it was successful: click here.

And John wasn't going to let us miss out on Daddy's Sunday morning French toast just because Dad wasn't there: John made it, and even patiently let his three-year-old brother assist.

Making French toast


4. Fishing

On Labor Day, I did still make us do our homeschool day, but I gave us a couple of hours' recess at the nearby pond to take the boys fishing.








4. Braces!


John had been counting down excitedly for six months till Wednesday when he got braces. It's a privilege to gain a wonderful bite and smile!


5. Soccer


This week marked the beginning of soccer at the YMCA for both John (U12) and Joseph (U6). We attended the first practice as a whole family, which was fun and bonding.






That night when I tucked Joseph into bed, he said, "Mama, tomorrow I want you to line up all the children and ask them what kind of Official Player they want to be when they grow up. [dramatic pause] I'm going to answer 'Soccer Player!'"

6. Scholastic Scenes

We are trying our first online classes this year, and the student trying them is our fourth grader! Mary is taking Literature monthly and Composition weekly online.


Pro tip: This year, I'm assigning Margaret to read aloud her independent History reading to Joseph (Kindergarten). Quadruple win: Margaret learns history, Joseph learns history, Margaret practices her reading aloud skills, and Mama can do yet another task.


I have to double- and triple-book all of my time to make homeschool work! Below, I had just finished our family exercise time (so I'm wearing exercise clothing), and I was teaching geography to the children during their snack time (with big sister Mary making food and serving everyone), while David napped.


Teaching IEW Fix-It Grammar to the girls




John started his middle school CCE program on Friday. I can't speak for him, but this is a big transition for this homeschooling mama! I've never handed off my child's education to anyone else, nor have I left him at a regular drop-off event (and this is two half-days per week). He had a great time, thought the first two teachers he met were nice, approachable, and excellent teachers, and, of course, his highlight was playing football with the fellas.

7. Miscellaneous Moments

Margaret lost two teeth and created an easier system with this device taped to her door than the Tooth Fairy extracting the teeth from beneath her pillow.


Thomas so loves this brown mousey which his sisters brought him home from Buffalo that he carries it everywhere.


David also is quite enamored with the butterfly finger puppet the girls gave him.


End-of-summer flowers . . .






For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

No comments:

Post a Comment