Friday, August 31, 2018

{SQT} Back to School!

1. Back-to-School Photos


August 27, 2018: First Day of School!







The school bus drove by as we were taking first-day-of-school photos and I called out the affectionate catch phrase I always use to my children: "School bus! Glad you're not on it!" It is such a privilege to homeschool and not a venture everyone who wants to do is able to do.


This week, we are finished with sewing, art, and swimming classes, we resumed tennis lessons, are soon to resume Scottish dance classes, and are starting something new: soccer at the Y!

Tennis class under the roof due to pouring rain

Wet baby

Wet little brother

It's not like our first week, or even first day, were perfect. In earlier years of homeschooling, I would have detailed in frustration how my husband was out of town on business the first week, the three-year-old peed his pants as soon as we were done taking pictures, and a pair of siblings got into a fight that lasted all day, kids need (will need all year) various amounts of training to be diligent when working independently instead of wasting most of the day (making my eyeballs pop out of my head), how it takes unreasonably long to transition kids from academics to outdoor exercise and back again, and so on and so forth. I would have detailed all that, but now I've mostly come to expect all those little (and BIG) troubles. Such troubles would happen with children whether educating at home or educating at school, but at least I get to be here to work on habits, virtue, character, and soul, even if I have to stop academic learning to focus on heart learning. I have the privilege of doing that!

Sometimes when I feel like I've accomplished "nothing" academically, I can remind myself that maybe my children witnessed me maintain a kind tone of voice while being interrupted for the twenty-seventh time, or they observed me serve a meal calmly or soothe fighting siblings, and maybe my ability to serve others as I would serve Jesus instead of my throwing an adult temper tantrum (of which I throw too manywas the lesson for the hour: I'm so grateful for that.

2. John: 6th Grade

This was a light week for John, as his middle school CCE program does not begin till the end of next week, so he is only studying religion, math, science, piano, music theory, spelling, penmanship, and computer skills, but he's not yet studying the biggies: history, composition, grammar, or Latin.





Catechism and prayer time


3. Mary: 4th Grade


Mary started all her subjects except for two online classes in literature and composition, which begin in a couple of weeks.

A lovely and pretty corner for students to do computer work

Mary is now assigned to make snacks for everyone at 10:00 when I'm reading aloud our History studies and she took right to the task with enthusiasm, serving a new snack each day with confidence.

History read-aloud time
Making snack for all her siblings

Playing accompaniment during Margaret's violin practice

David laughing it up during Mary's spelling dictation


4. Margaret: 2nd Grade

This is a big year for Margaret! I feel like she's transitioning to "the big kids," doing almost all her work independently now.

Online math

Margaret's math lesson one day inspired her to write a poem, which she felt compelled to do right then. One's muse will not wait.

Writing poetry

Spelling dictation with Mama

Listening to daily Bible story while coloring Catholic pictures


Spelling dictation while three-year-old brother sings on the windowsill


5. Joseph: Kindergarten


Joseph was so excited about Kindergarten that he woke up on Sunday all ready for it and was disappointed to have to wait One! More! Day! and informed me that I would have to "do" Kindergarten with him as soon as he woke up.

I think I designed a good Kindergarten routine for a bouncy boy (and his 3-year-old brother who tracks on the same routine):
  • Breakfast and chores
  • Holy reading and music with Mama (30m)
  • Free play, outdoors in good weather (30m)
  • Kindergarten (30m)
  • Family exercise, outdoors in good weather (30m)
  • Snack and history read-aloud (30m)
  • Free play, outdoors in good weather (30m)
  • Kindergarten (30m)
  • Piano practice (15m)
  • Lunch and chores (1 hour)
  • Quiet Time (listening to wholesome CD, playing quietly alone--1.5 hours)


I am so proud of this five-year-old for learning his Morning Routine during the three weeks I trained him before school began: He now wakes up to the alarm, puts on his school outfit, makes his bed, and brushes his hair before coming downstairs within fifteen minutes.

Bed made by five-year-old


Reading aloud religion

Daily religion for little boys


Learning songs this year

Recess

Phonics

Reading aloud about bugs and animals


Recess


Reading aloud about animals

Penmanship

Phonics

Mama nursing kicking baby while teaching phonics

6. Thomas: Preschool

Thomas (3) will be shadowing alongside his brother Joseph (5) during school, which I hope will start to teach him a little bit of order, the ability to do preschool-type things like color inside the lines, glue, and cut, and how to sit and listen to stories. Plus, if he's with me, then he's not doing mischief while unsupervised!


Recess

Coloring with sister

Coloring with sister

Peeling stickers on his own

Coloring Catholic books while I read the Bible aloud


Singing about baby rabbits, then baby cats, then baby ducks during spelling dictation

7. David . . . Is Cute!


Happy with his apple and matchbox car!

Brushing his hair keeps him calm and quiet

Mama dictating spelling

At not yet 13 months, I've noticed David in the last couple of weeks learning things so fast: he has begun playing with toys like toys, like stacking blocks, driving cars, sending cars down ramps, and imitating our activities (e.g., sweeping with a broom, pretending to cook in the play kitchen). He's also added "yum yum!" to his vocabulary (word used for food).

Triumphant with a sword
David learned how to eat puree texture this week! While that is usually a first texture for babies, it's actually quite challenging for a baby who can't control the bolus of food in his mouth, so David learned other textures first and puree last. Now he really can eat just about anything!

Eating puree


For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

No comments:

Post a Comment