Friday, June 15, 2018

{SQT} New Summer Routine (Sort Of)


1-4. Four Days in Pennsylvania






5. Summer Goals and Activities


Once Weekly Classes--all of which began this week

  • Sewing Glass for the girls
  • Art Class for the top four children
  • Swimming class for the 5- and 7-year-olds, plus free swim for everybody
  • Music lessons . . . as always!


Travel

  • Completed . . . NE and PA. 
  • Upcoming SC, NH, VA, NE (again), and maybe CA.
  • One week of a local day camp for the kids, one week of boys' camp


Homeschool Planning and Training

  • Create daily lessons plans for four grades for the entire year (a first for me, which currently seems like a Herculean, but necessary, task)
  • Watch the eight lessons of the Center for Lit analysis course (a teach-the-teacher course)


Summer Academics

  • John and Mary are watching the IEW Speech and Debate Boot Camp DVDs
  • Kids are working on handwriting and math drill, and John is reading five historical literature books and completing literature analysis worksheets, plus making two geographical maps. (I'm reading all his literature books, too.)
  • Music continues, as always, including John beginning a boys' choir.
  • I'm hoping to start the five-year-old learning phonics.


Personal Goals

  • Mama . . . move myself up the priority list and become more fit and lose weight. This takes time when I'm taking care of me and not them.
  • Certain of the children have behavioral goals set for them and I'm working with each child one-on-one. This also takes T.I.M.E.
  • David is meeting with a food therapist to help him learn how to eat solids, so I'm supposed to work on that twice a day.
  • Finish cataloging all the books in my library.
  • I think the gardening and house repair goals I had on summer planning list have fallen right off of it, but they're still in my hopes and dreams.


6. First Sewing Class


The girls are going to be learning sewing from a homeschooling mama of nine who has a 10-acre property, so during lessons I will probably often be ranging around with the little boys, having a grand old, grubby time.

Sewing dolly quilts











7. First Art Class


Our first art class went swimmingly, with the teacher taking the children through a guided drawing with pencil, then outlining it with fine black pen, and painting it with watercolor. I was surprised and pleased that the 5-year-old sat without getting up once for two hours of work. (Who is this kid and where did he come from?) Even the almost-3-year-old joined for the beginning drawing (of scribbles) with pencil and the final painting!











For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

No comments:

Post a Comment