Monday, June 11, 2018

Pennsylvania Road Trip: Day 2

Our first day waking in Pennsylvania was a bright and early one, as we were due at the convent at 8:00 a.m. sharp. The alarm was set for 6:00 and I ended up taking the six children, dressed for Mass, down to the hotel dining room by myself while Chris was finishing up his ablutions.

An angel in the form of the grandmotherly dining room manager swooped to me and offered to serve all my children in this otherwise self-serve restaurant. I was so grateful for her help, and she cheerfully prepared plates of food for my tots as I bustled back and forth too.


We arrived at the Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in the nick of time. There were 23 vehicles in the parking lot, most of them all the way from Charlotte, which is a powerful testimony to a healthy parish and community life.


I discovered within five minutes that the tiny chapel (seating for perhaps 100) was unforgiving for the loud sounds of my exuberant baby and two-year-old, and I didn't want to leave my five-year-old there without supervision, so I took all three boys out for a gentle walk in the woods.








After bringing me flowers for my hair, Joseph declared that he wanted to pick a bouquet for his big sisters. We mamas must take these loving moments as we get them in order to balance out the moments of smacking, kicking, and declarations of battle.




After the Mass, the children, numbering between twenty and thirty, played rambunctiously on the grounds. I am so accustomed to this wholesome scene weekly that I forget that, for many, it is a scene out of another era. How joy-filled these little ones are!


Best buddies
The priest who ministers to the nuns spiritual needs introduced himself and put his biretta on little Thomas' head.


After being fed at the reception and our changing outfits, our family drove two miles to Knoebels amusement park--the largest amusement park in America with no entrance fee, as one pays only per ride.


Note to self: Don't instruct kids to "put on sunscreeen while I nurse the baby in the van."




I had planned to take the two youngest back to the hotel room to nap, but I decided last minute to throw caution to the wind and join the whole gang for the big afternoon outing. It was noisy, hot, sweaty, and tiring, but it sure was enjoyable to see the children having a blast!


Before two-year-old was screaming in terror







The only ride Thomas enjoyed was the sedate boat ride along the river.



It turns out that Mary is not afraid of any roller coaster, it just doesn't matter how big and bad it is. The more thrilling, the wider her smile when she exits off of it. Perhaps, to some, this is not a surprise. Mama's heart just about couldn't take it.





David experienced the day from the confines of his stroller, except when taking his afternoon nap on my back or coming out to nurse. Otherwise, the exciting sights and sounds kept him occupied.


Mary chose the front car whenever possible.




We ended our day there by allowing the children to ride the water ride that creates a fifty-foot wave. We knew they would have to change outfits, but we did not take into account that they were wearing their only street shoes, which were then soaked. They had to wear Mass shoes for the rest of the trip!



After a pit stop at the hotel to obtain dry clothing, we joined the host family at Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. Thomas was so exhausted that he fell asleep sitting in his chair with 30 people conversing around him.


It was another late night after bathing these grubby children and tumbling into beds back at the hotel.

Desperately desiring some solitude after so much togetherness that I couldn't even get five minutes alone for the prior two days, I spent half an hour reading in the bright hotel bathroom, while the children slept in the dark room. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment