Friday, June 24, 2016

7 Quick Takes Friday


1. JOHN (9)

While driving through our neighborhood, we came upon an Eastern box turtle crossing an intersection with as much speed as he could muster. John leapt out and saved the little guy, getting him to shady grass on the other side.



2. MARY (7)

Thomas loves his "second mommy," Mary. One morning, she was making herself tea and he toddled over to grab her by the legs for a big hug . . . so sweet.



3. MARGARET (5)

As of late, Margaret is insisting, "I am an owl." She isn't exhibiting Kindergarten fantasy, but is emulating her seven-year-old sister whom we have called a "nightowl" for years. If we aren't vigilant about waking Mary early, she will very happily be found wide awake, reading or doing projects, at 10:30 at night, and then sleep past 8:00 a.m.

Margaret now insists, "I am an owl," even though she is anything but that, and would really happily fall asleep at 7:30 if I got her tucked in that early. On Thursday night, she left me a first note:




"Dear Mama, I am going to stay up all night."

. . . followed by a second note.



"or I could . . ."

But then she tucked away her pencil, told me she was too tired to continue, and she fell asleep.


4. JOSEPH (3)

Vignette No. 1: I had finished my early morning exercise when I called to my beloved three-year-old boy and said, "Hey, Josey! Let's go snuggle on the couch! I want to snuggle with you." He replied jubilantly, "I wanted you to want me to do that!" I think there is much meditation in that concerning our toddlers and preschoolers (and all our loved ones?): they want us to want them.

Vignette No. 2: The other children say night prayers as a group, but meanwhile I've tucked in Joseph alone and prayed with him. Now that he's three and a half, I'm disallowing him to use goofy/silly language during our prayers, as he finds it funny to be praying along with the Angel of God prayer and substitute nonsense words. "If you say wrong words on purpose, then Mama won't be able to stay and read you a bedtime story after prayers."

But his latest substitution is so precious, I can't stand it. He tries to see how many times he can say "I love Mama" during the prayer.

"Angel of God, I love Mama, to whom God's love commits me here, I love Mama, be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and I love Mama. Amen."

What am I supposed to do but hug him close?!

5. THOMAS (11 months)


"Swimming" with Mama

One of my go-to snacks for Thomas is to shake some shredded mozzarella onto his tray. This buys me time because he concentrates on using his pincer grasp to pick up each shred. When I sprinkle his tray, he does this thing where he breathes quickly through his nostrils to indicate his excitement, and I always feel like I'm tossing out seeds for chickens or bread crumbs for pigeons.

Shredded mozzarella joy
Almost one year old and he is the proud owner of his first pair of shoes. I subscribe to the science that says that being as barefoot as possible helps human feet develop properly, so these shoes are thin leather (like Robeez). (For more info, read Katy Bowman's work. It is better to read her direct writing, but click here for an easy introduction by a third party.)



Blowing bubbles with friends . . .




















6.

Family Books of the Week (in progress or completed)

7.

No "meals of the week" because they were even more humble than usual as we tried to eat out of the pantry and freezer before traveling.
Taking orders for grilled sandwiches by writing with Sharpie on paper plates

Instead I share bonuses . . . 

Bonus Listening: I've owned an iPhone for something like four years now and have finally figured out how to subscribe to Podcasts so they download automatically to my phone, then disappear when I've listened to them.

The Institute for Excellence in Writing podcasts are a delight and so well-researched as well. This week, I recommend listening to the serious on Pen and Paper: Part I, Part II, and Part III. (At 25 minutes apiece, they're just the right length for a workout or walk!) In staccato summary, Andrew Pudewa shares the research showing that it is better for the brain to: read from paper books instead of screens, write on paper as long as possible instead of typing, and use pens instead of pencils.


In light of children falling into gorilla pits and being eaten by gators . . . "Grab Your Pitchforks: Why We Attack Grieving Parents"



For more 7 Quick Takes Friday, check out This Ain't the Lyceum.

2 comments:

  1. How funny that both our quick takes involved leather-bottom shoes for the bubs! Thomas looks pretty excited about that cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I distinctly remember buying sturdy Stride Rite high-top sneakers for my oldest that would support her feet and give her a nice, wide base to stand on!

    BTW, did you hear that the little boy wasn't eaten by the gator? He "only" drowned after being dragged under. Still extremely sad, but I'm grateful the poor mother doesn't have to imagine the other horror any more.

    ReplyDelete