Thursday, February 4, 2016

Mary's Violin After a Year and a Half

Forewarning: This is a "grandparents' post," meaning that I think only close family members will really want to listen to this many video clips of my daughter playing violin. But, of course, anyone is welcome!

Her favorite practice spot by the window

I haven't filmed Mary playing violin in months, so I took advantage of a baby sleeping on my back during today's thorough lesson in which Mary's teacher ran her through her Suzuki Book 1 repertoire. That day they weren't working through the variety of non-Suzuki songs she plays as well (e.g., Over the Rainbow, Brahm's Lullaby, Ode to Joy, America, Greensleeves, Battle Hymn of the Republic, El Condor Pasa).

Mary is 7 years old and has been playing violin for 18 months.


Joseph is mesmerized by Mary's violin

Given that I grew up watching my mother play the fiddle, it is emotionally meaningful to me to see this daughter of mine take to the violin. In fact, I asked her tonight whether violin or piano was her favorite, and was surprised to hear her say (at least in that moment!) that violin is her love.

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"

 

 "May Song"

   \

"O Come Little Children"

 

 "Song of the Wind"

 

 "Long Long Ago"

 

 "Allegro"

 

 "Perpetual Motion"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment