Tuesday, August 26, 2014

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

It all started when Chris decided he wanted to take the 7- and 5-year-olds on a road trip to Texas. He comes from a childhood family culture that views family road trips with fond memories and excitement, while I see them (more properly?) as one of Dante's levels of hell.

With him planning a road trip, he asked if I'd like to go anywhere during his absence. We realized we had enough airline points for me to visit family in California, where I haven't been for two-and-a-half years, so we decided I'd take the 3- and 1-year-olds out West.

Additionally, we realized that if I flew West on Tuesday on the same flight as my visiting stepfather, I would then have the assistance of a second adult on at least one of my flights.

Current reading for my travels
Once we bought the airline tickets, I got cold feet about our family being separated for eight whole days. I'm accustomed to being around this motley crew all the time and--while I desperately want a short break of an hour or two--I don't want a break of eight days! So, I lay awake a few nights worrying about much I won't like our being apart. (Despite Scripture telling us to do otherwise (Matt. 6:34), if there is a way for me to add more displeasure to displeasure by fretting about it ahead of time, I'll do that.)




My thoughtful husband saw my distress and really did consider if he and the Bigs could join me in California, but it did not make any fiscal sense. His going to Texas is practically free because he gets to (licitly) use his company car and can stay in homes instead of hotels. My going to California is also practically free because we had just enough airline points for tickets for Margaret and me, Joseph is still young enough to be free, and, by taking only three of us, we can borrow my stepdad's car and stay in a home instead of a hotel. Sending our whole family either to Texas or to California would have costs thousands of dollars--a no go!

So, I focus on how absence will make the heart grow fonder as I board a plane with my little ones and my husband revs the engine to start his road trip.
Final photo before leaving home

At the airport departure terminal (those are car seats in the trash bags).

2 comments:

  1. Love the reading list. They are on my list to read, but I fear they are too meaty for my state of mind since I generally only get time to read in bed the half hour before I go to sleep and I am only about 35% coherent. Thoughts? And a thought about the car seats in the trash bags. Don't you wish that car rental places also rented car seats so you wouldn't have to lug them around airports?? I have never had to flown with children (I think I have only flown like 4 times in my entire life and none of those since I have kids) but whenever I see pics and posts of others doing it I always feel like it is an awful ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the recent picture of your family!

    ReplyDelete