Sunday, July 27, 2014

Joseph Seeks Water

The sound of whooshing water . . . 

Joseph, oh Joseph!

Joseph is 18 months old and he learned to open doors about two months ago, I think because of his noticeably large hands. He's got big mitts!

Now this punkin' enters bathrooms, opening the door when necessary, climbs onto the counter, and turns on the water to brush his teeth or wash his feet many,

many

times per day!

I'm so frustrated and unsure of what to do. I know he could hurt himself in several ways by this feat. It's been some years since I stopped using baby gates and doorknob locks because they quite hamper life at home when one has children of varying ages. I need to be able to tell my children to go wash their hands without me going with them to open the bathroom door. I need my three-year-old to be able to rush herself to the potty. And baby gates simply get knocked over because all the kids who can climb them just climb them till they fall, scratch paint, and break--and, frankly, our kids have been doing that by about 18 months old, so what's the point of using gates?

Thankfully, all the children are usually in my close vicinity, and the baby is usually at my ankles, so he goes to the bathroom adjacent to the room I'm in for his mischief. I hear the water, I go get him yet again . . . 

But let's all give a big thanks to Joseph's guardian angel for protecting him thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment