Thursday, June 5, 2014

Tally of Books for 2013-2014 School Year

As one school year draws to a close and another officially begins next month--and we find ourselves continuing to do light summer school--I tallied a list of books we've read as a family. I failed to keep track throughout the year, so this is certainly incomplete, but includes most.  I counted only chapter books, which tally 47. I am gratified by this, especially when echoing a concept I've read often in homeschooling articles and books: "Reading covers a multitude of sins!" In these early years, even if there are gaps in education in some places, reading frequently from good quality literature makes for children well on their way to loving learning and knowing how to teach themselves.

If anyone accuses me of homeschooling so I have an excuse to spend my adulthood (as I did my childhood and college career) with my nose in a literature book, I won't say that they're entirely wrong . . .



READ ALOUD BY MAMA

Gilgamesh The King (trio of children's version of epic poem)

Cat of Bubastes (read first half)

Ox, House, and Stick

King David and His Songs

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths (partially read)

Theras and His Town

God King

Lassie, Come Home

The Indian in the Cupboard

Imagination Station books nos. 1-5

The Taming of the Shrew (a community theater/children's version of Shakespeare by Richard Carter)

Little Maid of Massachusetts Colony

Little Maid of Old Philadelphia (current reading)




AUDIO CDs

Little House series of nine books

Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe series of seven books

James Herriot's Treasure for Children

Old Yeller

Charlotte's Web

Stuart Little

Paddle-to-the-Sea

Old Sam Dakota Trotter

The Hobbit

Bible Comes Alive series CDs 1-3

Misty of Chincoteague

Treasure Island (which was so gripping--I'd never read it as a child--that John and I finished the last CD, clicked it off, turned toward each other, and agreed we needed to buy the book and immediately start reading it ourselves . . . the book arrives here in two days!)

7 comments:

  1. My kids have truly LOVED being read to! I dont have the same love for it, but find it so easy to overcome my aversion to it ( I am not a "reader" by nature) seeing their faces get excited when they remember something that happened, or ask me to read the story as they fall asleep!!! I am excited to try some of the books you have listed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I looked up the "little maid of..." Books to see if it was a series since it sounded like something my girls would enjoy, and found several of them for free on the kindle. Yay! Thanks for a new book suggestion. My girls have been tearing through the American girl series (the early ones... Not the newer ones) and I am glad to have something new to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I remember you reading "Indian in the Cupboard" a few months ago and thought it would be a good one for my three. I loved that book when I was a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Imagination Station rec, I hadn't heard of them. They don't carry them at the library, but seem very inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priscilla: The kids really did enjoy the Imagination Station books, but they are decidedly what Charlotte Mason would call twaddle. Also, they are Protestant, so be on the lookout for anything anti-Catholic. So far, so good, in numbers 1-5. Number 6 is about Plymouth Rock and the Pilgrims, so I intend to read that one before my kids do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have favorite sources for audio books? Do you get most from the library or purchase some?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: We do own an extensive collection of audio books. But I can see that I might not want to keep buying more and more, so I've been trying to learn where to find them from other sources. In this last year, about one-third of our audio books were from the library. I am not technologically savvy, but am trying to learn how to use books online. Librivox lets you listen for free, but here's a tip I was given: BooksShouldBeFree.com uses the same exact data files as Librivox, but the website is organized in a much more user-friendly way. I don't yet know how to download and burn MP3 files to some device or another, but that is another task on my list. It's hard to listen to those books huddled around a computer.

    ReplyDelete