Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day 2014

Our Father's Day was rather quiet as all of us are on the mend from one of the worst colds we remember--and in June, no less! There are no pictures of Chris (or me) from today's Father's Day because we were feeling a bit too far under the weather to look photographic . . . unless it were a photograph for a public health brochure on doing everything you can to avoid catching bugs because you don't want to end up feeling like that couple!

Homemade cards from the children, a little gift in child-decorated wrapping paper

Breakfast: toast, eggs, bacon, fruit salad, whipped cream

Chris had to cut his trip to Virginia short, arriving home Saturday night and heading straight to Urgent Care. He came away with some prescriptions that are helping whip back this respiratory infection! Then this morning, I took myself and the two boys into Urgent Care to make sure our lingering cough wasn't bronchitis or pneumonia developing. We got the all clear, and I've got to say it's amazing how blech a person can feel when her body is suffering from just a cold, no infections!

Reading aloud to his mother

The baby was crying loudly, so we took him outside while we waited: there John (7) sat and read "Boxcar Children" aloud to entertain me while I paced with the baby. I was reminded of how my mother would require me to read aloud to her while she cooked dinner in order to help me learn how to read well and fluidly: all those years later, I never did learn how to cook from her, but I did learn how to read tremendously well!

'I'm gonna get you!'

Then we took a try at waiting in the office itself, where I cordoned off a short hallway and made it a run-around area for Joseph. I grabbed a Styrofoam cup from the coffee station and had the boys throw it back and forth. Joseph thought this game was reason for a fabulous giggle-fest. Occupying children in waiting rooms requires creativity and attention, that's for sure!

Playing keep-away with a Styrofoam cup

Most of the rest of our day was spent with Chris and I sitting and coughing quietly in chairs in the back yard, supervising the children playing. For dinner, I served ribs (from the deli), potato salad (also, deli!), macaroni and cheese (homemade), and green beans (I boiled them from frozen myself), finished off with a celebratory ice cream cake (thanks to Baskin-Robbins). I don't think it's really fair to call me a cook so much as a food-preparer.

Happy Father's Day to all the devoted dads!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling so yucky! But a cold is an infection, just a viral one! I checked out boxcar children but Gabriela was instantly put off because they are orphans. She is very tender-hearted when it comes orphans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priscilla: Good point, Science Mom! Well, it's amazing how bad this viral infection can feel without additional bacterial infections having taken hold in sinus or lungs, etc. Too bad about 'Boxcar Children,' as it's a delightful book with a very charming ending. If you want to help Gabriela with a spoiler, you could tell her that a very friendly grown-up discovers the children living in the box car within just a few days and he actually spends the entire book checking on them secretly every day to make sure they are safe, but the children don't find that out till the end. :)

    ReplyDelete