Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Signs of Spring

Despite my having moved our My Spy Birdhouse to a new window location, in hopes of attracting a family of birds, no birds have taken up residence.



Instead, a queen wasp has made this her summer residence! She built the first chamber of her nest and, presumably, has been laying eggs for the last 24 hours. While we've never seen her moving around the chamber, when we check on her in her seeming stillness, she is found in different spots, always hanging on her chamber.

I found the girls sitting in the sink, watching the wasp.

While I don't feel like it would be prudent to let her build a complete nest in our birdhouse, given that it is located right above the bench where I sit to supervise the children and the water spigot which I turn on daily to water the plants, I am tempted to let her stay as long as possible. Truly, how often does one get a chance to watch how a wasp nest is built this up-close-and-personal? This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance!

The girls begged to eat their morning snack while still in the sink, watching the wasp.



Our first season using a flower press

A homemade bow made by Daddy and Son

Practicing his aim

Our seedlings are growing!

Carolina jessamine

I am still trying to get a picture of the resplendent bluebird who has taken up residence in our bluebird nesting box.


No comments:

Post a Comment