Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Joseph Really Becomes a Toddler

Joseph is 14-1/2 months old and I so enjoy this darling toddler age!


Joseph is newly 'part of the gang,' running off to be with his siblings as much as he can. He comes to me for food, nursing, comfort, and sleeping, but he goes to his siblings for interest and activity!

He is now running and playing tag and chase. I see that wonderful increase in communication skills that is so fun to watch: His receptive language has taken a marked leap in the last couple of weeks, such that I can give instructions like, "Bring me your truck" and he can do it.

His spoken words remain few: Down, Up, Mama, Daddy (our first baby to skip 'dada' and go straight to 'daddy'), Yum, Bye, Cheese, Ball, Hello ('hewoh?')

His American Sign Language signs are: WATER, MORE, BYE, NURSING, MUSIC

Also, Joseph communicates by throwing gloriously clear tantrums when he doesn't get what he wants.


I've noticed that during school time, Joseph has begun bringing me books whenever he sees me reading to the older children. He is insistent in handing me a book over and over again. Of course, being the fourth child, he's in stiff competition with the third child for any reading time at all. That poor third child doesn't get all the wonderful picture books appropriate to her age read to her, and she's often stuck listening to me read chapter books to the older children. Sometimes I can satisfy Joseph by putting him in my lap with a board book while I read a school book to the bigger kids. Poor little baby! Thankfully, what he loses in books read to his precious baby self, he gains in a brother and sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment